UPDATE, February 15, 2010: Obama Carnival Floats 2010
Drudge posted this photo:
A carnival float depicting a flying U.S. President Obama with Europe being dragged along is seen during the traditional carnival parade in Duesseldorf, Germany, on Monday, Feb. 23, 2009. Rose-Monday-Parades in the carnival strongholds of Duesseldorf, Mainz and Cologne are watched by hundreds of thousands of revelers and mark the highlights of Germany's carnival season. (AP Photo/Frank Augstein)
The Germans should not be allowed to get away with this. Their float is a disgrace. It's offensive on a number of fronts.
1. I think it's weird to have Obama depicted as an angel. The man is alive. Are the Germans suggesting he should be dead?
Alert the NAACP!
Will Julian Bond say, "This was an invitation to assassination of the president of the United States and anyone who was not offended by it doesn't have any sensibilities"?
2. Obama's head is so large. Are Germans mocking Obama for having a big head, for having an inflated ego? Is the float a symbol of American arrogance on the world stage, as personified by Obama?
3. Obama has a giant, goofy smile. Is that an offensive stereotypical racist depiction? Does the big toothy smile signify subservience and servility?
4. Obama is wearing a dress made out of the American flag. Using the flag in that fashion is an affront to every American.
5. Why is the Obama dress or gown so short? Why are his spindly legs exposed? Is this meant to humiliate Obama? That's insulting. The Germans are being disrespectful.
6. Why is there a little girl, symbolizing Europe, behind the Obama figure with her hands reaching up under his gown? What does that suggest? It's an inappropriate image to say the least. And what does she see under there? Does it play into the racial stereotype of the black male being portrayed as sexually threatening and hypersexual?
7. The float is blasphemous. It mocks our messiah, our savior.
I hope Al Sharpton will speak out against this travesty.
I hope he's organizing boycotts against all things German. I hope he's organizing protests at Volkswagen dealers.
I hope Hillary Clinton is shuttling to Germany at once to discuss this abomination. This Obama float is worthy of a full-blown international incident.
Is this the crisis that Joe Biden warned would hit?
JOE BIDEN: Mark my words. It will not be six months before the world tests Barack Obama like they did John Kennedy. The world is looking. We're about to elect a brilliant 47-year old senator president of the United States of America. Remember I said it standing here if you don't remember anything else I said. Watch, we're gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy.
I think the Germans are testing Obama's mettle, not to mention the mettle of the American people.
We shouldn't stand for this attack against our president.
Gird your loins!
Here's another float from a German carnival parade. This one made its way down the streets of Cologne in 2008. Thank God Obama was depicted as a dog and not a chimp. Al Sharpton would be demanding that Der Spiegel be shut down.
Those Germans sure know how to have a good time!