Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Adam Lambert: Rolling Stone

On the cover of The Rolling Stone...

In a Rolling Stone cover story, Adam Lambert reveals that he's gay.

Who knew?



He tells a lot more than that.

The flamboyant Idol singer hits our cover and bares all, talking about his childhood (”I started to realize I wasn’t like every other boy,” he says), the drug-fueled Burning Man epiphany that led him to AI (”I realized that we all have our own power, and that whatever I wanted to do, I had to make happen,” he tells RS) and his run on the show (”I was like, ‘I’m going to glue rhinestones on my eyelids, bitch!’ “). And yes, he talks about his sexuality. “Right after the finale, I almost started talking about it to the reporters, but I thought, ‘I’m going to wait for Rolling Stone, that will be cooler,’ ” he tells us. “I didn’t want the Clay Aiken thing and the celebrity-magazine bullshit. I need to be able to explain myself in context.

“I’m proud of my sexuality,” Lambert adds. “I embrace it. It’s just another part of me.” Ultimately, however Lambert tells RS contributor Vanessa Grigoriadis that there are other parts of his life that he’s trying to keep front and center. “I’m trying to be a singer, not a civil rights leader,” he says.

It was that mission — and his Burning Man “psychedelic experience” — that lead him to Idol after years in musical theater. “I knew that it was my only shot to be taken seriously in the recording industry, because it’s fast and broad,” he tells RS. (See photos of Lambert’s remarkable American Idol run here.)

He details his experience on Idol, his true thoughts on winner Kris Allen and how his sexuality impacted his Idol run in our cover story, “Wild Idol: The Psychedelic Transformation and Sexual Liberation of Adam Lambert,” which hits newsstands this week.

Sex & drugs & rock 'n' roll...

That's not really the family friendly image of American Idol.




About Kris Allen, Adam says: "He's the one guy that I found attractive in the whole group on the show. Pretty totally my type, except that he has a wife."

About drugs, Adam says: "I had a psychedelic experience where I looked up at the clouds and went, 'Oh.' I realized that we all have our own power."

OK, moms and dads, have fun explaining this stuff to your kids, your little Adam Lambert fans.

It appears that Adam is remaking himself.

The Rolling Stone interview is about him shedding his skin as a bubble gum idol.

If these excerpts are any indication, he's really distancing himself from his Idol image.

What's awkward about that is he will be touring with his American Idol cohorts, the American Idol 2009 Summer Tour.

Maybe he should have waited on that RS interview.

1 comment:

Mary said...

With all due respect, that's a hateful comment.

I like Adam Lambert. I think he's very talented. I've praised him highly.

Search my blog.