Saturday, April 2, 2005

Remembering the Holy Father

I will remember the Pope as a man who always reminded us to respect the dignity of every human life, to value and cherish this most precious gift from God.

He didn't sequester himself from the world. He lovingly embraced it.

He spoke out against injustice and hatred.

He highlighted the responsibility we have to aid all who are suffering from sickness, hunger, and poverty.

As he struggled with his own infirmities, he showed us how to draw strength and courage from God as we carry our crosses.

John Paul was a holy man. He lived the way Christ taught us all to live.

"I give you a new commandment: love one another. As I have loved you, so you also should love one another.
This is how all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."

John 13:34-35


I never met the Pope; but like many Catholics, I felt close to him. I have a rosary that was blessed by John Paul II in Rome. It was a gift from my father. I've held it tightly in my hands during moments of great joy and at times of profound sorrow and despair. I'll treasure it always.

Although much is being said about John Paul II's impact on the world, and statements are coming in from towering figures on the global scene, I think it is worthy to note his tremendous impact on the hearts and souls of individuals, the way he touched the lowly.

Perhaps that is his greatest legacy.
_______________________________

Do you not know or have you not heard? The LORD is the eternal God, creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint nor grow weary, and his knowledge is beyond scrutiny.

He gives strength to the fainting; for the weak he makes vigor abound.
Though young men faint and grow weary, and youths stagger and fall,

They that hope in the LORD will renew their strength, they will soar as with eagles' wings; They will run and not grow weary, walk and not grow faint.

Isaiah 40:28-31


No comments: