Friday, May 27, 2005

David Rosen Acquitted



From AP:

LOS ANGELES — The former national finance director for Hillary Rodham Clinton's Senate campaign was acquitted Friday of lying to the government about a lavish 2000 Hollywood fundraising gala.

David Rosen was charged with two counts of making false statements to the Federal Election Commission about the cost of the star-studded gala, which attracted such celebrities as Cher, Melissa Ethridge, Toni Braxton, Diana Ross, Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston.

The jury deliberated about six hours before reaching its verdict.

"It was hard for me to hold back tears. My whole family is crying, and my attorney is crying. It was the happiest moment, next to my marriage, in my life," Rosen said.

...Prosecutors say Rosen was trying to duck federal financing rules so Clinton's campaign would have more money to spend on her 2000 Senate race against Rick Lazio.

...Rosen testified that he mistakenly thought some in-kind contributions, including the Porsche he used while in Los Angeles to organize the event, were simply gifts.

"If I executed poor judgment in that decision, I made a mistake, but I certainly didn't intend to hide anything," he testified.

Picture the heart-warming scene, everyone so emotional, crying tears of joy.

"Executed poor judgment." Didn't Bill Clinton say something like that when he addressed the nation to admit that he had been lying to friends, family, collegues, and the American public about his relationship with Monica Lewinsky?

I'm not surprised that Rosen was the national finance director for Hillary's senate campaign. He was a perfect fit for the Clintons.

He plays like one of those incredibly naive, befuddled, disorganized, Sandy Berger types. With Peter Paul around, a convicted felon, it was easy for Rosen to pass the buck and claim innocence.

I don't think Rosen is naive. The LA jury is another story.

No comments: