Saturday, November 5, 2005

Neil



This is the second time in recent weeks that Late Night with Conan O'Brien has broken format and devoted the show to a musical guest. On October 6, Conan showcased U2 for the entire unforgettable hour.

This week, for the last four consecutive nights, Neil Young performed.

The week long stint allowed Neil to promote his latest release, Prairie Wind; but it also was an opportunity for fans to be treated to some great live performances.

Not surprisingly, Neil highlighted his new material. In terms of sound, the new stuff is reminiscent of Harvest. There's an immediate sense of familiarity. However, there is a difference. The songs of Prairie Wind are tinged with the experience that can only come from the passage of time.


It's been over thirty years since Harvest. Neil obviously is no longer that young man singing about an old man.

I found a poignancy in his performance. He's just days away from turning sixty, and it shows. The personal struggles and tragedies he's endured, especially recently, seemed to weigh on him. Still, Neil exhibited the sort of attitude that one would expect from a much younger man, optimistic and idealistic.

Although he did look old, time had not beaten him down. Neil conveyed the serenity of one who's faced challenges and survived.

At the very end of Thursday's show, Neil served up a classic, "Needle and the Damage Done." He was alone on stage, playing acoustic guitar. It was a quiet, touching performance.

Neil ended his week on Late Night with a song from Prairie Wind. Playing the piano and backed by a choir, he did a beautiful version of "When God Made Me."

It's a hymn, from the heart. It's a prayer, an expression of faith, and grounded in hope.

Although his song asks many questions, Neil doesn't leave them unanswered.

Was he thinkin' about my country
Or the color of my skin?
Was he thinkin' 'bout my religion
And the way I worshipped him?
Did he create just me in his image
Or every living thing?

When God made me
When God made me

Was he planning only for believers
Or for those who just have faith?
Did he envision all the wars
That were fought in his name?
Did he say there was only one way
To be close to him?

When God made me
When God made me

Did he give me the gift of love
To say who I could choose?

When God made me
When God made me

When God made me
When God made me

Did he give me the gift of voice
So some could silence me?
Did he give me the gift of vision
Not knowing what I might see?
Did he give me the gift of compassion
To help my fellow man?

When God made me
When God made me

When God made me
When God made me

6 comments:

Mark said...

I saw that show, Mary. When I heard him singing that song I thought WOW! Has Neil been converted? I don't know, But I liked that song, until my son Turned the channel, that is.

Poison Pero said...

Great stuff Mary.........Hope you know I'm always around, even if I don't comment.

School and the fall/winter (peds office) are brutal on me right now.....I barely have time for my own blogs.

Keep it up!!

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Mary....where the deuces are you?!?

Hope you're all right. I was actually worried as early as Sunday, since it's so unlike you to not post multiples in a single day, let alone nothing new in one.

Hope you are safe and well.

Poison Pero said...

Ditto the Wordsmith's comment..

Hopefully you're just on vacation.

The Game said...

Mary, miss you, hope you are okay

Mary said...

Thanks for the concern, everyone.

I greatly appreciate it.