Sunday, February 5, 2006

Sorry, Seahawks

Congratulations, Steelers -- Super Bowl XL Champions

Congratulations, Hines Ward -- Super Bowl XL MVP

I didn't have a team in this year's game. I really didn't care which team won, although I was cheering for former Packer Matt Hasselbeck.

I admit I still have mixed feelings about Mike Holmgren. His departure from Green Bay was an unpleasant one, yet he led the team back to glory and two Super Bowls, so it's hard to hold a grudge.

I'm certainly not disappointed that the Steelers won and I'm not at all happy that the Seahawks lost. I suppose I'm indifferent.

Not to take anything away from Hines, but I do think that the refs should have been considered for the MVP award. I think they played a very significant role in the outcome of the game.

I can understand if Seattle fans weren't happy with the officiating. I think they have a number of legitimate gripes.

As far as the commercials go, some were funny; most were forgettable.

The halftime show was lackluster -- no wardrobe malfunctions this year, which was a blessing I suppose.
AP offers some details on the entertainment.

The Stones did three songs. I think halftime of the Super Bowl was a poor time to perform a song from their recent album. They have over forty years of material and they decide to do a song that would be unfamiliar to most of the audience. That was self-indulgent. Not smart.

I noticed that there were no tight close-ups on Mick and the "boys." Again, that was probably a blessing, although I do agree with AP's assessment, "Jagger, at age 62, is still a force of nature."

So, another Super Bowl is history. Pittsburgh chalks up another championship.

Seattle will have to wait for its first victory, and Mike Holmgren will have to wait for another win.

Oh, well. He'll always have New Orleans and Super Bowl XXXI.




No comments: