Friday, April 28, 2006

DAVID GREGORY IS A JOKE

Once again, David Gregory proves himself to be a complete joke.

After President Bush made remarks about the FANTASTIC ECONOMIC NEWS, he took a few questions from the press.

True to form, David Gregory was...well, David Gregory.

President Bush used humor to highlight the abrasive, rude, ill-mannered Gregory's aggressive style.


THE PRESIDENT: David Gregory.

GREGORY: Mr. President, we're seeing some turnover and some change within your administration, and I wonder what it says about what you think is necessary to turn your presidency around at this point?

THE PRESIDENT: I think it's necessary to continue doing -- to achieving results for the American people. We've got big challenges for this country and I've got a strategy to deal with them.

The biggest challenge we face is winning the war on terror and to protect the American people. And we'll continue to keep on the offense, to keep the terrorists off balance, to find them and bring them to justice. And at the same time, we'll continue to work to spread democracy, understanding that democracy is the best way to defeat an ideology of hatred.

At home, it's important to make sure this economy continues to grow. And that's why I'm working with Congress to make the tax cuts permanent. I fully understand there are some here who would like the tax cuts to expire or raise taxes. In my judgment, that would be bad for the economy. It would hurt small business formation and hurt the entrepreneurial spirit. So I will continue to work with Congress to make these tax cuts a real part of economic life for a long time coming.

And we've also got to be wise about spending. I issued a veto threat the other day because I was deeply concerned that the supplemental was getting out of hand. And I recognize that in order for us to cut the deficit in half, we've got to keep pro-growth economic policies in place, as well as control federal spending.

I talked about the need for this country not to fear the future but to shape it. In other words, we shouldn't worry about competition from China and India. And because -- we can out-compete those countries if we're wise about what we do here at home. And one of the most wise things we can do is to make sure our children have got the skills necessary to fill the jobs of the 21st century.

I've been talking about energy independence for a long period of time. You might remember last summer I was urging Congress to pass a comprehensive energy bill so that we could deal with conservation and new technologies and diversification.

And so I'm going to keep working hard for the American people to get results.

By the way, we're in the midst of implementing now a Medicare bill, which is helping our seniors a lot. And if you -- if a senior has not signed up, I urge you to take a look at the Medicare prescription drug program, particularly if you're a low-income seniors. It's an enormous benefit, and it's a necessary benefit.

So there's a lot to do today, but we'll continue to be results-oriented.

Martha Raddatz.

GREGORY: But I asked you about your internal changes and what that says about how you think things need to be changed. They've been very public, your internal changes.

THE PRESIDENT: Well, David, I'm a results-oriented person, and my job is to achieve things for the American people, positive results that make us more secure and more prosperous. And of course, I will have people by my side that work toward that objective.

Thank you for your penetrating question.

GREGORY: Thank you.

THE PRESIDENT: Plus, I'm not going to hire you, if that's what you were suggesting. (Laughter.)

GREGORY: I was not suggesting that. (Laughter.)

THE PRESIDENT: I would, except you can't pass the background check. (Laughter.) Okay, an unnecessary cheap shot, I take it back.

Martha.
_______________________________

HAHAHAHA

I love it.

This morning's exchange between the President and Gregory reminded me of comments made by
Tom Brokaw as he talked with Don Imus yesterday.


NBC anchorman emeritus Tom Brokaw has taken the network's obstreperous White House correspondent David Gregory to the woodshed, warning him not to let his relationship with brand new White House press secretary Tony Snow devolve into a foodfight.

"David and I have actually talked about this," Brokaw told radio host Don Imus on Thursday.

"I would succumb to this from time-to-time," the veteran newsman recalled. "You get into that bubble in the White House press corps and you begin to think that it's between you personally and the press secretary. Or that you're showing off for your colleagues in the room."

...Still responding to Imus' question about the volatile reporter, Brokaw indicated that he thought Gregory had crossed the line.

"That's not the function of the White House press corps. The function of the White House press corps is to represent the country and ask the questions that they deserve to have asked and to get answers for them. And not to make it some kind of a personal exchange."

Gregory obviously hasn't taken Brokaw's advice.

5 comments:

Tiger said...

Believe it or not, Mary, I have to give President Bush much credit for the booming economy! Now ... if we can get him to do well on the other 80% of the problems ...

Mary said...

I can believe it, Tiger.

Here's a question for you--

Do you think that John Kerry would be doing better on the other 80% of the problems?

THAT is the question to consider.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Thanks for posing that question to tiger.

I hope the conservative purists who are "all or nothing" voters realize that you don't always get everything you want, all at once. You have choices to make. And the choice is, "Do you want a Republican led Congress, or a Democrat one?"

Tiger said...

Oh Mary ... how disappointing ...
It's dishonest to try to paint me as a Kerry supporter and you know it.

We need HONEST conservatives, not ones who like to pump sunshine up our skirts.

And, BTW, Wordsmith, I'll be at the polls come November. Hopefully, this time we'll get some REAL, HONEST conservatives.

Mary said...

Tiger, I didn't paint you as a Kerry supporter!

To the contrary, I was pointing out that in spite of your obvious disapproval of the President, you must consider him to be far more acceptable than Kerry.

The "all or nothing" mentality that WS mentions can leave you with nothing.

I'm glad you won't be sitting out this election.