Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Jane Fonda



Back in July, Jane Fonda announced that she would be going on "a cross-country bus tour to call for an end to U.S. military operations in Iraq."

"I can't go into any detail except to say that it's going to be pretty exciting," she said.

Fonda said her anti-war tour in March will use a bus that runs on "vegetable oil."

..."I've decided I'm coming out," she said...

"I have not taken a stand on any war since Vietnam," she said. "I carry a lot of baggage from that."

At the time I speculated that Hanoi Jane's decision to schedule her deja vu tour in March might coincide with the release of the paperback version of her book.

OK, I was a month off; but I still think I should get credit for being awfully close to the mark.

Fonda has cancelled her plans to tour the country to speak out against the war.

She hasn't cancelled plans to hawk the paperback version of her book.

Fonda was on Good Morning America on Monday, and explained that she would let Cindy Sheehan handle the protesting. Fonda backed out of her promise to travel the country on a vegetable oil-fueled bus.


ATLANTA (AP) -- Jane Fonda says she would like to tour the country and speak out against U.S. involvement in Iraq, but her controversial history of Vietnam War protests leaves her with "too much baggage."

"I wanted to do a tour like I did during the Vietnam War, a tour of the country," the Oscar-winning actress said Monday on ABC's "Good Morning America." "But then Cindy Sheehan filled in the gap, and she is better at this than I am. I carry too much baggage."

So, instead of yapping about the war in Iraq, Fonda is talking about herself to sell some more books.

On Monday, she was interviewed by Barbara Walters on The Charlie Rose Show.


With Walters as her enabler, it was Fonda at her navel-gazing best.

"You can't have a real relationship until you have one with yourself."


Discussing her difficult relationship with her daughter, wiping away tears, Fonda said, "She is slowly realizing that I love her."

She went on, "It's never too late to be a parent." That sort of wisdom belongs in a Hallmark card.

Flashing a stack of papers, Walters said that she gets letters everyday bashing Fonda for her antics in Vietnam.

That's weird, so weird that it's hard to believe.

Anyway, Fonda said it was pathetic that people are still angry at her. She blamed the Right Wing for keeping the issue alive and fanning the flames because it suits their purpose.
 
That's weird, too. I don't think Fonda is at the top of the list of concerns among conservatives.

Fonda expressed her worries about Iran and cited the Seymour Hersh article in The New Yorker. She fears for the future and what Bush might do.

"I think just about everything coming out of this Administration is frightening."
Walters asked for Fonda's thoughts on the 2008 presidential race.

Fonda said, "I think Hillary's good. I think Feingold is good." But, they aren't perfect. There needs to be a grass roots movement to pressure them to move further Left according to Fonda.

OK, Jane.

Whatever you say.

_________________________________

Note: Walters did not ask Fonda what kind of tree she would be.

No comments: