Tuesday, April 4, 2006

One Angry Amigo



"There are fans out there (who) could find out that Brett Favre could run over 14 puppies and they still wouldn't care. These people would think he was still the greatest thing since sliced bread. But I think there are people out there . . . who are kind of on the fence (thinking), 'What is this guy all about?'"

--Mark Chmura


On Sunday, former Packer Mark Chmura unleashed on his former friend Brett Favre during his radio show on WAUK-AM/1510.

The
Capitol Times has the details.

Some of Chmura's thoughts on Favre:

Commenting on Favre's inability to make a decision on whether to retire or return for one more season, Chmura said: "People who don't think that it's all about him are fooling themselves. With a quote like 'What are they gonna do, cut me?' It's all about him."

Chmura continued: "Where it's hypocritical is, (Favre is) very critical of Javon Walker and, 'He's not a team player, you know (Walker) doesn't care about the team.'

"Well, what's (Favre) doing now? I mean, does he think this is the best thing possible for the team? I mean, they have one quarterback on the roster who they like ... they have to know."

Chmura added: "These quotes are, 'I am bigger than the team, I will make my decision when I want, and (Packers general manager) Ted Thompson and (coach) Mike McCarthy aren't gonna tell me what to do."

"Then (Favre) had the other quote in the newspaper saying if he comes back this is 'definitely his last year.' Well, the Packers aren't going to the Super Bowl. They aren't close to going to the Super Bowl. I think if they keep going in the direction they are they can go 8-8, 9-7. Why come back? Why, if it's not the money?"

"He's a selfish guy," Chmura said of Favre. "He's a very selfish guy. And what people don't know, I'm not going to say this to throw the guy under the bus, but this is a guy from my arrest to my acquittal never called me one time.

"It was disappointing, but you know you find out what people are made of, what they are all about. And I'll tell you what, the friends I have now, I wouldn't trade them for anything.

"You know I got more calls and letters from the old timers. Fuzzy Thurston. Jerry Kramer. Ron Kramer."

I'll leave the armchair psychoanalyis to others, but it can't be denied that Chmura's anger and bitterness is really intense, and bordering on pathological.

Chmura may have intended to embarrass Favre by "exposing" what a horrible person the quarterback really is. If that was his intent, it backfired. Chmura should be embarrassed. Sure, he's supposed to talk sports and give his insight, but his rant went way over the line.

Do I think it's time for Favre to make a decision about returning for another season?


Yes. I think that decision should have been made already. It's overdue.

Do I think Chmura behaved unprofessionally for spewing such a venomous attack at Favre?


Yes. He was completely out of control.

Did Chmura use extremely poor judgment?


Yes. It certainly isn't the first time.

No comments: