Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day!




Father! - to God himself we cannot give a holier name.

--William Wordsworth



By profession I am a soldier and take pride in that fact.

But I am prouder - infinitely prouder - to be a father. A soldier destroys in order to build; the father only builds, never destroys. The one has the potentiality of death; the other embodies creation and life. And while the hordes of death are mighty, the battalions of life are mightier still. It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle field but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in Heaven.'


--Douglas Macarthur



He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it.
--Clarence Budington Kelland

4 comments:

Cursief Huigje said...

Nice quotations about fathership!

Mary said...

I think it's important to acknowledge just how significant a father's role is in raising a child.

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Hope Father's Day was good, Mary!

Mary said...

It was, WS. Hope you had a good one, too!