Monday, October 16, 2006

Have No Fear, Kagen is Here!


Democrat Steve Kagen: "Here I come to save the day."

Last Friday night, a debate between Republican John Gard and Democrat Steve Kagen, candidates for the 8th Congressional District in Wisconsin, revealed in the clearest terms the fundamental difference between Republican and Dem philosophies in waging the War on Terror.

Gard spoke of the need to take the fight to the terrorists, to be proactive rather than reactive, to be tough.

Kagen was a spokesmen for the appeasement approach touted by presidential wannabe Russ Feingold and the "Let's frame the Bush administration as evil and President Bush as Public Enemy #1" crowd.

WisPolitics has the
debate video.

It's worth watching how the candidates address terrorism and the Patriot Act.

This exchange occurs about forty minutes into the debate:


MODERATOR JEFF ALEXANDER: Thank you, Mr. Gard. We’ll start with you for our next question. What do you think of the Patriot Act? How will you vote?

GARD: I believe in the Patriot Act. I think my highest responsibility is to keep you, your family, and our nation safe. ...There is a difference here between me and my opponent. The choice could not be clearer. I believe he underestimates the tenacity of the enemy. I do not. ...I think we need to do whatever we can to give law enforcement the tools and our troops the tools to track down terrorists and fight them over there before we fight them over here.

I do not want to react to a terrorist attack. I want to prevent a terrorist attack. And that is the difference. The Patriot Act helps us do that. ...I think it is critical that people understand: We are not the enemy. The terrorists are. ...

MODERATOR: Mr. Gard, thank you. Dr. Kagen, same question to you. What do you think of the Patriot Act? How will you vote?

KAGEN: Well, I believe in giving the President all of the tools necessary to defend us. I believe we can’t make mistakes in this time, but we may not have the right leader. The Patriot Act is law and I will obey it, but at the same time we must seek ways to modify it if necessary to guarantee that we retain our constitutional rights.

...I agree with John. The enemies are intent on destroying America. They're intent on hurting us, killing us. We are their evil one, but let's understand who the real enemy can become if we become too fearful.

I'm... I'm not afraid. I'll put my foot down and stand up if I'm on a plane with a terrorist – I’ll take him out right there.
We need leaders that are tough. We need leaders that are smart. Unfortunately, we've got the tough part right. We just don't have the smart part.

MODERATOR: Dr. Kagen, thank you. Mr. Gard, your one minute rebuttal.

GARD: I don't ever want a terrorist to get on an airplane, and that's the difference.

Well.

Now we know how the Dems will protect us from terrorists.

If you're on a hijacked plane and lucky enough to have tough guy Steve Kagen on board, he promises to put his foot down and take the terrorists out.

Feel more secure?

As long as Kagen is around, we can relax.

Why bother worrying about terrorists when Kagen can just take 'em out?

Ready to take out the terrorists: Kagen puts his foot down, and his knee.

Unbelievable!

It's really funny that Kagen would say something so lame, but the matter is deadly serious.

This is the Dem approach to fighting terrorism: Kowtow to radical Leftists that believe the U.S. is the enemy. Mislead Americans into believing that the government is abusing its power and listening to their phone calls. Scare people into thinking that someone is monitoring their use of public libraries.

The Republican approach? Use all LEGAL means possible to find the terrorists, monitor them, and break up plots BEFORE they occur.

I see a little problem with the Dem plan.


Kagen can't be on every flight.



h/t
Charlie

5 comments:

Mary said...

Don't worry about typos. My posts are definitely not typo-free zones. :)

Republican, Dem, conservative, lib -- The labels don't matter to me. That's why I'm not registered with any political party.

I'm an Independent and proud of it. Candidates have to earn my support. I'm no rubberstamp.

I disagree that the Constitution, family values, etc. are meaningless to both parties.

Right now, there is absolutely no way that I would vote to hand power over to the Dems.

No way. 9/11 was a defining moment. How the Dems have behaved since then makes me ill.

The Republicans are far from perfect, but the Dems are farther from perfect.

TheBitterAmerican said...

You mean, the Democratic response to any question wasn't "My opponent supports George Bush and his failed policies, therefore, he stinks and I deserve your vote, despite the fact I have no position on any issues myself?"

That's what's happening here in PA between Santorum and Casey!

Mary said...

HAHAHA

That's happening here, too.

We know the Dems planned to make this election about the President.

All the Dems are running against Bush first and their actual opponents second.

I like the fact that Santorum doesn't hesitate to say that he supports the President.

I know things don't look good for him, but I admire his integrity.

Polls can be wrong.

Mary said...

Tell me you're joking.

Mary said...

I find your defense of the repugnatins-call them a rose if you want-supporting evil.

I disagree.

I don't support evil.

I'm definitely anti-evil.