Monday, December 11, 2006

Spying on Diana

I'm not an anglophile. I've never been a royal watcher.

I certainly was saddened by Princess Diana's tragic death, but I didn't fall apart. I didn't wake up before dawn to watch her televised funeral live. I didn't run out and buy Elton John's "Goodbye England's Rose" version of "Candle in the Wind."

Diana's death was tragic. She was young and her sons were left without their mother.

Very sad.

I really have no on-going interest in her life or the circumstances of her death, but this is intriguing.

Why was the U.S. Secret Service listening in on
Princess Diana's phone conversations?

What possible reason could there have been for the government to know what she was saying?

Very strange.

Although Diana was not an American citizen, the U.S. didn't seem very concerned about treading on her rights and civil liberties. (I hope Russ Feingold is taking note. George W. Bush wasn't president at the time.)

Why did the Clinton administration bug Diana's phone without the approval of the British?

That's really odd.

CBS reports:

It's long been rumored that her work as anti-land mine campaigner brought her to the attention of the CIA, reports CBS News foreign correspondent Shiela MacVicar. The report will confirm the existence of the files, but does not reveal their contents, or offer an explanation.

That's weird.

Being anti-land mine would hardly warrant bugging her phone.

I wonder if it had something to do with Bill.

Did his enquiring mind want to know what Diana was saying?


No comments: