Thursday, August 2, 2007

Brendan Dassey

Brendan Dassey is 17.

Moments ago, he was sentenced to life in prison with the possiblity of parole in 41 years.

He's guaranteed to be locked up until he's 48.

MANITOWOC, Wis. (AP) -- Dassey, 17, was convicted in April of being party to first-degree intentional homicide, mutilation of a corpse and second-degree sexual assault in the death of Teresa Halbach on Halloween 2005.

Life sentences are mandatory for first-degree intentional homicide. But Manitowoc County Circuit Judge Jerome Fox had to decide whether to leave open the possibility of parole.

On Thursday, Fox decided to grant Dassey the possibility of parole. He will be eligible for parole on Nov. 1, 2048, when he is 59 years old.

Dassey sat quietly at his sentencing Thursday and when asked if he had a comment before it was read, he told the judge, "I don't know what to say."

The judge said this was Dassey's chance to say something to his family and Halbach's in the courtroom.

"Just that I didn't do it," Dassey said. "I wouldn't do nothing like that."

Here's more:
"The court believes there is a moral need for substantial punishment for these crimes," Judge Jerome Fox said.

Fox said during his ruling that this was the most serious crime the court had ever had before it.

"(Dassey) knew the difference between right and wrong, good and evil," the judge said.

4 comments:

steveegg said...

Their math is right.

That having been said, if I were a murderer, I hope I would get Lawgiver-In-Black Jerome Fox. After all, he wouldn't givef me life without parole.

Mary said...

This may be a wrong assumption, but I'm assuming that Dassey has no chance of getting out on parole.

It's like Charles Manson.

Mary said...

Steve, did you ever see the King of the Hill episode when Bobby meets a smart girl who tells him that she takes trig?

Bobby responds with, "My math is just called math." :)

steveegg said...

I wouldn't count on the parole board as far as I could throw them :-)

As for the math; no worries. I'm one of those who has numbers dancing in his head (I won't invite you to gopfolk's weekly math contests :-)