Saturday, September 1, 2007

Larry Craig Resigns

Let this be a lesson to Republican elected officials: Behave in public restrooms.

WASHINGTON -- Idaho Sen. Larry Craig resigned from his Republican Senate seat Saturday, bowing to pressure from Republicans to step down after his arrest and guilty plea in a sex scandal.

"It is with sadness and deep regret that I announce that it is my intent to resign from the Senate, effective Sept. 30," Craig said, appearing with his wife, Suzanne, at a press conference in Boise, Idaho.

The resignation comes after reports that Craig pleaded guilty Aug. 1 to a reduced misdemeanor charge from his arrest June 11 in a men's room at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.

The three-term Republican senator did not admit wrongdoing, but apologized for being unable to serve the rest of his term to pursue legal options.

"I apologize for what I have caused. I am deeply sorry," Craig said. "I have little control over what people choose to believe but clearly my name is important to me and my family is so very important also."

This was hardly an "I have sinned" statement.

It seems that Craig wants to bow out as a victim.

I think he's a victim of his own poor judgment.

No comments: