Friday, November 23, 2007

Black Friday

I have issues with "Black Friday."

I don't like the term.

It's really getting heavy duty use this year. There's something about it that sounds so ominous. I think of "Black Monday" and "Black Thursday."

It's creepy to follow a beautiful holiday like Thanksgiving with a day designated as "Black Friday." I know it's not meant negatively, but it sounds bad to me, impending doom.

I also don't like how insane the store hours have become. Stores opening at 4:00 AM or Midnight?

That undercuts the celebration of the Thanksgiving holiday.

When Abraham Lincoln issued his proclamation establishing Thanksgiving, calling on citizens "to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens," I don't think he ever envisioned it would become associated with crowds of crazed shoppers trampling over each other, intoxicated by materialism.

A nation torn apart in civil war understood the preciousness of life and loved ones.

I don't think we do. We seem to have our priorities screwed up.

"Gee, Aunt Martha, I'd like you to stay longer, but I have to get a few hours of sleep before I get up to stand in line, freezing to death, so I can get a chance at scoring a 42" flat-panel plasma HDTV. You understand, don't you?"

It's almost as if Thanksgiving has become a prep day for shopping, like the real purpose of the holiday is to kick off a consumer frenzy rather than to spend time with family and friends and count one's blessings, thanking God.

Yes, there are bargains out there and I plan to take advantage of the sales tomorrow. Remember, the best bargains are still to come. Patience.

As far as all those irresistible "Doorbusters" go, I'm not busting any doors until 10:30 at the earliest. Make that 11:00 or 12:00. Maybe.

Sleeping in: Priceless.



"He puzzled and puzzed 'til his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more."

No comments: