Saturday, January 19, 2008

They Don't Call it the Frozen Tundra for Nothing

Will the New York Giants be able to handle the brutal conditions forecasted for tomorrow's game?

I don't know about the team, but members of the media are having some problems.

Ralph Vacchiano of The New York Daily News had a rude awakening when he arrived in the Green Bay.

He writes:



Frozen tundra sure ain't no joke


Last night, I laid out the clothes that I’ll be wearing on Sunday night and the ensemble included two pairs of socks, corduroy pants, a short-sleeve T-shirt, a long-sleeve T-shirt, a thermal shirt, a turtle neck, a sweater, gloves, a scarf, ear muffs, and a long wool coat.

After being in Green Bay for all of 15 minutes, I am convinced that will not be nearly enough.

I am also convinced I am not tough enough or hearty enough to be an Eskimo, because despite being in my hotel room with the heat turned up to 80 I am still literally shaking in my shoes. My entire outside experience was walking from my car to the hotel lobby, and then from my car to my room, yet I still feel like I spent the last hour sitting naked in a refrigerator eating ice cream.

I don’t know how these people survive here, unless they all wear heated pants and occasionally light each other on fire for warmth.

According to weather.com, the current temperature in Green Bay is minus-9, with 11 mph winds, making it actually feel like minus-27.

It’s so cold that on my way into my room, the housekeeper stopped me and said “We left the water running in your room. Don’t turn it off, or the pipes will freeze.”

Great.

Actually, none of this would be as horrible as it seems if it wasn’t for the fact that, within the hour, I’ll be standing outside Lambeau Field, shooting a segment that will air later tonight (6 p.m.) on Sportsnite on SNY. I have no idea why I ever agreed to do this. Then I’ve got to do it tomorrow night, too.

The least SNY could’ve done was buy me heated pants.

Anyway, for the record, like Eli Manning I will be wearing a glove. Unlike Eli Manning, I will be wearing two. I’ll also be wearing sleeves, unlike those big, tough Giants offensive linemen. In fact, since they’re not using them, perhaps I’ll ask to borrow their sleeves, too.



That's an amusing blog post, though I doubt that Vacchiano is laughing.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pictorial thing about the Ice Bowl was so cool! My late father used to tell me about it.

Go Pack!

Mary said...

Packer fans were special back then and they still are.

GO PACK GO!!!

Goat said...

here is my dress for that cold, base layer of silk followed with two layers of stretch fleece long underwear, then the heavier outers again a very heavy fleece and wind protection, up top I use a combination of a hollowfill jacket with a down vest over that and then a mountaineering jacket. I can sit in a snow bank at way below zero and watch the stars go by, grin. Go Pack!