Wednesday, March 5, 2008

All Favre, All the Time

You'd never know that there were significant developments in the 2008 presidential race yesterday by sampling Wisconsin media.

To say that Brett Favre is dominating the news is an understatement.

There are special sections in newspapers, retrospectives, media websites packed with all things Favre, and hours of TV and radio time being devoted to Favre's retirement. Local reporters scurried down to Mississippi.

It's Favre-mania.

That stuff is driven by a desire for ratings and sales, but the emotions fueling it are sincere.

It's understandable why people want to talk about it and want to watch coverage. I don't expect it to subside much until Favre speaks. He should address the fans and soon. He owes us that.

Personally, I'm having trouble handling the saturation coverage. It's screwing up my attempts at denial.

Since 1992, if there was a Packer game, Favre was on the field. It's difficult to remember a time when I didn't know how to pronounce his name.

Children born when he came to Green Bay are now driving and considering college plans.

Favre was part of our lives for a generation. Letting go isn't easy. We literally haven't experienced a single Packer game without Favre on the field in the past 16 years.

The response to Favre's departure, the outpouring of appreciation and love for the guy, is understandable.

Favre has been the Packers' quarterback longer than Franklin Delano Roosevelt was president and he was president forever!

Question: Does Aaron Rodgers have what it takes to be Harry Truman?

God willing.

3 comments:

Jimi5150 said...

From what I've seen, and it's not much, Aaron seems to have a strong arm and is fairly accurate. He may give us two things Favre can't . . . feet, and an ability to play in the cold weather. My concern is if he's durable enough. I don't expect another ironman like Favre, but I'd like to see Aaron complete an entire season without injury.

I have confidence! I think.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see Aaron make it through practice without hurting himself first.

Mary said...

I thought Aaron hurt himself on the way to practice.

I worry about his durability, too. No one can live up to Brett in that department.

I'll be cheering for Aaron. I wonder how he's doing right now. He must be feeling tons of pressure. You have to be tough to handle that.