Thursday, April 10, 2008

American Idol Shouts to the Lord

UPDATE, April 10, 2008: The Thursday night broadcast opened with the eight contestants and the choir singing "Shout to the Lord," currently the number one download on iTunes.

Tonight's version did not alter the lyrics.

The first line tonight: My Jesus, my Savior

The first line on Wednesday's broadcast: My Shepherd, my Savior

Some people weren't happy that the first line was changed. If you prefer the song with "Jesus" in the lyrics, download Thursday night's version.

Now everybody is happy!

_________________


American Idol's telethon of over two and a half hours, Idol Gives Back, ended with a big shout out-- to the Lord.

The eight remaining contestants sang the popular worship song "Shout to the Lord."

Gee, a song about God was sung on the most popular show on American TV. Millions of people heard it.

Was that offensive? Was it insensitive to all those non-believers in the audience?

The first line of the song was altered a bit.

"My JESUS" was changed to "My Shepherd." I think that was wise.

That change made it more inclusive, though "Shepherd" is still a very Christian substitute.

The lyrics of "Shout to the Lord" as sung last night:


My Shepherd, my Savior
Lord there is none like You
All of my days, I want to praise
The wonders of your mighty love

Shout to the Lord, all the earth, let us sing
Power and majesty, praise to the King
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
At the sound of Your name
I sing for joy at the work of Your hands
Forever I'll love You, forever I'll stand
Nothing compares to the promise I have in You

My comfort, my shelter
Tower of refuge and strength
Let every breath, all that I am
Never cease to worship You

Shout to the Lord, all the earth, let us sing
Power and majesty, praise to the King
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
At the sound of Your name
I sing for joy at the work of Your hands
Forever I'll love You, forever I'll stand
Nothing compares to the promise I have in You
Nothing compares to the promise I have in You
Nothing compares to the promise I have in You

There's no dancing around the meaning of that song. It praises the Creator, not Darwin the King.

Last week, Dolly Parton sang "Jesus and Gravity."

American Idol certainly isn't afraid to acknowledge God.

I wonder if young fans all over the country will be singing "Shout to the Lord" in the days ahead. Will the halls of public schools be filled with a joyful sound?

I don't think American Idol is in violation of the Establishment Clause.

I wonder if Annie Laurie Gaylor was watching. If so, it must have been a painful experience for her to be exposed to an expression of praise to God.

I think it was a beautiful rendition of the song and a stirring way to end the program. I didn't find it to be preachy. It was a reminder to give thanks for life's blessings and to help those less fortunate. It was an inspiring call to serve others, which is what Idol Gives Back is all about.




Idol
by krs601

No comments: