Sunday, April 20, 2008

The German Shepherd

Yesterday, I was watching the FOX News coverage of Pope Benedict in New York.

It was after the Mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral but before the Pope made his way up Fifth Avenue in the Popemobile.

As the reporters and commentators filled time while awaiting the procession, one of them referred to Pope Benedict as the "German Shepherd."

I don't think he was trying to be funny or disrespectful. I think it was unintentional. They all just kept talking. None of them laughed. (I did.)

Yes, the Pope is German. Yes, the Pope is our Shepherd.

Still, I never heard anyone call the Holy Father the "German Shepherd." I guess anything can happen on live TV.

2 comments:

David Schantz said...

I don't watch TV any more but yes live broadcast have brought the unexpected into our living rooms many times. Listen to the corner men talking to their fighters between rounds of a boxing match. Make sure the kids are out of the room.

God Bless America, God Save The Republic.

Mary said...

It's often interesting to read the lips of coaches in pro-sports. It's not always necessary to hear them.