Friday, May 2, 2008

Patriot Vicky Hollowell


Newsradio 620 WTMJ anchor/reporter-turning-Marine Vicky Hollowell.

Vicky Hollowell personifies what makes America great.

WTMJ Reporter Vicky Hollowell has been covering the beat and anchoring newscasts for nearly two years in Milwaukee. Even though she loves working in radio, a different profession and a much nobler cause has grabbed hold of her heart.

Hollowell wants to serve her country. She has decided to join the Marines.

...Friday, May 2nd is Hollowell's last day at WTMJ. In a few weeks she heads off to Quantico, VA for officer training.

"Ten weeks of boot camp, then after that I'll be commissioned as a second lieutenant, God willing," she said. "Then six months of basic, where we'll learn our jobs and find out where we're going to go after that."

It's too early to know where Hollowell will end up, but she expects to be deployed somewhere overseas.

"There are two kinds of Marines," Hollowell explained. "The Marine that is overseas and the Marine that is going overseas."

"Honestly, if I didn't get sent somewhere I would be disappointed."

Vicky is following her calling, and what a noble calling it is!

She makes me proud to be an American.

When I heard Vicky interviewed by
Charlie Sykes on 620 WTMJ this morning, I was reminded of this inspiring quote from Ronald Reagan:

"The house we hope to build is not for my generation but for yours. It is your future that matters. And I hope that when you are my age, you will be able to say as I have been able to say: We lived in freedom. We lived lives that were a statement, not an apology."

Vicky's life is definitely a statement, not an apology.

I am so grateful for Vicky's service, as well as the service of the members of all the branches of the U.S. military, for giving people like me the gift of living in freedom.

Thank you, Vicky.

God be with you.








No comments: