Sunday, July 20, 2008

Al Gore on Meet the Press

Al "the Hypocrite" Gore was selling his snake oil this morning on Meet the Press with Tom Brokaw.

Transcript excerpt:


MR. BROKAW: Let me ask you about your personal lifestyle, because it's been the subject of a lot of dialogue on the blogs, as you know. You and Tipper have bought a big home outside of Nashville, and you had it retrofitted. But for a time there was a comparison between what the president has in Texas at his home as being more environmentally correct than your home. The Building Green Council gave you its second highest award. But Stephen Smith, who is with the Southern Alliance for Clean Energy, is troubled by the scale of your home. He said, "We all need to evaluate what we ... need in square footage." Present company included. We all have to look at scale, don't we? Why was it necessary for you to have a 10,000 square foot home? Because that is going to be more energy intensive than a smaller home for just the two of you.

VICE PRES. GORE: Well, there--I don't claim to be perfect, and all of us who care about this issue are, are trying to do our part, but I, I will say this. We buy green energy. The issue is carbon. The issue is carbon, and we have, essentially, a carbon-free home. We buy from wind energy and solar energy. Our roof is covered with solar electric panels, a geothermal system with all these deep wells, and we cut our natural gas bill by 90 percent, and I'm, I'm--we're, we're walking the walk and not just talking the talk. There are always people who are going to try to aim at the messenger if they don't like the message, and I don't claim to be perfect, but we are walking the walk.

MR. BROKAW: How often do you fly on a private jet?

VICE PRES. GORE: I've--much more frequently on public transportation. I'm flying on Southwest Airlines again today. But sometimes the schedule requires that, and sometimes I do that.

MR. BROKAW: Should there be a surcharge on jet fuel, cost for private aviation, which is expanding exponentially in this country, and it leaves a very large carbon footprint.

VICE PRES. GORE: Fine by me. Sounds like a good idea.

It all sounds like a load of crap to me.

Gore got one thing right: He's not perfect.
_______________

Video here.

5 comments:

The Aruba Girl said...

How many solar panels do you have on your house, ms. judgmental?

Anonymous said...

The fact of the matter is that Gore is still a wasteful hypocrite and Brokaw wussed out because he's in Gore's corner. Did he really need a 10,000 square foot home? Think of those poor trees! Does he really need to fly all over the world giving speeches? How about a teleconference? Despite buying energy produced by solar and wind, Gore still uses up more energy in one month than I will in my entire lifetime.

Though the question still remains, Mary, how many solar panels DO you have on your house? I get a pass on this one because I brush my teeth in the shower like Jennifer Anniston.

Mary said...

Aruba girl, it's funny that you call me "ms. judgmental" in defense of Gore, the self-proclaimed Grand Poobah sitting in judgment of everyone on the planet.

My 3-bedroom, 1 and a half bath palatial estate doesn't have solar panels.

However, I believe my monthly energy usage is probably equivalent to what the Gores use to light their walk-in closets.

Unlike Gore, I don't fly all over the world. I have never flown on a private jet.

Plus, I eat far less than he does and I assume his personal carbon emissions are exponentially greater than mine. I also wear less makeup than Gore.

Dave, I'm impressed that you are following Jennifer Anniston's regimen for brushing your teeth.

But if you're following Sheryl Crow's advice when it comes to toilet paper, I don't want to know.

thearubagirl said...

Be honest, mary. If you had the money Gore has, wouldn't your house be a teenie bit bigger??? Besides, you're missing the bigger point.....like Gore or not.........we MUST get started on alternative energy sources NOW. And if everyone was doing as much as the Gores are, we'd be on the right path.

Mary said...

Absolutely not. I could have a bigger home, but I choose not to.

Money isn't the issue. Personally, I would have issues with living in a larger place. As it is, I think I have too much when it comes to material things.

I think we should be good stewards of the earth. It makes sense to utilize renewable energy sources.

I completely disagree with you on this: "If everyone was doing as much as the Gores are, we'd be on the right path."

If everyone did what the gluttonous Gores did, the earth would be doomed.