Tuesday, July 1, 2008

At Summerfest on Monday

Yesterday was a beautiful day.

It was perfect Summerfest weather. It wasn't too cold. It wasn't too hot. It was just right.

And, admission was free until 3:00.

I wasn't able to get there early enough to take advantage of that deal, but I did shave $7 off of the usual $15 gate admission by printing out tickets online.

When I arrived at the main gate, there was gridlock. At times, the long lines of people didn't move at all.

I thought it must have been due to the tightened security. Maybe it was, but by the time I made it to the entrance, workers were letting people through quickly.

I had to open my purse for someone to briefly look at its contents. That wasn't anything new from previous years.

Beyond that station, two men stood, each with a handheld metal detector wand. I walked right past them. Obviously, they weren't wanding everyone.

I guess I didn't look the type to bring in a weapon.

Overall, I thought the grounds seemed more crowded and the walkways were more congested.

The Rascal Flatts and Taylor Swift show at the ampitheater was sold out. That certainly was a factor.

The fantastic weather and the fact that Children's Fest allowed everyone to get in free earlier in the day added up to make for an exceptionally large, though well-behaved, crowd for a Monday.

I really liked the new Harley stage.

That venue has become the best side stage by far.

________________

I didn't see it happen, but there was some additional excitement at the Harley stage last night when Bill Leen, bass player for the Gin Blossoms, passed out during the performance.

Leen had not been feeling well in recent days and most likely passed out due to exhaustion, Boler said. He was checked by medical personnel in the band's tour bus, where he was resting late Monday, Boler said. Leen was not taken to a hospital.

Leen's guitar technician finished the concert for him, Boler said.

No comments: