Thursday, July 10, 2008

Beijing Wants Dogs Off Olympic Menu

From the Financial Times:

In an unusual Chinese campaign against canine-based cuisine, Beijing has called on local hotels and restaurants to stop serving dog meat during the Olympic Games next month.

The move is part of a broad drive by the Chinese capital to present its best possible face during the games. It reflects concerns among senior officials that the sight of roast or stewed dog might offend visitors from western nations.

In a low-profile order issued recently in the name of the municipal food safety office, the capital’s catering industry association was told to “advocate” to its members that they “suspend use of dog meat dishes during the Olympic period”.

...Though little used in local Beijing dishes, dog meat has long been available in the capital at Korean restaurants and those offering the cuisines of southern Chinese provinces. Though the government has not specified any punishments for defiant dog-servers, the Olympic instruction is having some effect.

Maoxianglou, a restaurant serving food from south-western Guizhou province, said on Thursday it had been ordered not to sell its signature “Huajiang Dog”, a dish reputedly good for people suffering from high blood pressure or frequent night-time urination.

“We are not allowed to sell it during the Olympic period – and it’s not clear what will happen afterwards,” said a restaurant employee.

I recognize there are cultural differences.

I get sick just thinking about eating dog meat. I would not and could not eat it. No way.

I can't even eat catfish because we have one in our aquarium. I'm very attached to our catfish. Seriously. I get nauseous when I see catfish in grocery store advertisements, but I'm not on a crusade to get stores and restaurants to stop selling it for consumption because I love my pet catfish.

Of course, Westerners would be uncomfortable with dog meat on the menu.

But what makes me more uncomfortable is this extreme makeover of Beijing for the Olympics.

The fact is dog meat is served in China. I don't think restaurants should alter their usual practices.

I wouldn't like it if I owned a restaurant and the government told me that during the Olympics I had to take a dish off the menu.

If Westerners are offended by dog meat, let them be offended.

It's China.

No comments: