Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Brett Favre and Greta Van Susteren



I didn't follow the divorce proceedings of Christie Brinkley and Peter Cook, but I know it wasn't pretty.

When Brett Favre went On the Record with Greta Van Susteren, it wasn't pretty either.

Finally, Favre himself speaks on the growing disaster in Green Bay. There was some real anger and bitterness that came through in the interview. (Part one aired last night. Part two will air tonight.)

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

What is clear is that Favre, in a carefully orchestrated chat with Van Susteren, a Wisconsin native and Packers shareholder, detailed anger and frustration with both the franchise and specifically general manager Ted Thompson over his future and his past.

...Favre’s comments were his first public statements since he and his agent, James “Bus” Cook, asked the Packers to release him. In the interview, Favre said he wanted to play again, didn’t want to return to be quarterback Aaron Rodgers’ backup, didn’t want to be traded but wanted the freedom to play for a competitive team.

Said Favre: “Them moving on does not bother me. It doesn’t. I totally understand that. By me retiring March 3rd I knew that could possibly happen. All I was saying is you know I’m thinking about playing again. The ‘itch’ has been used. That is the word that has been used if you want to say itch, or the fire is coming back, or whatever. If I’m going to play it’s going to be 100% commitment. . . . And so if you move on, you tell me one thing, don’t come back and tell the public . . . just say it, ‘You know, we’ve moved on and we’ll work with Brett on whatever it is.’ Don’t make up a lot of stuff or give half of the truth.”

Later, Favre made an apparent reference to Thompson in describing his conversations with team officials.

“You guys have a different path, fine,” he said. “What does that mean for me? . . . So that means, either you give me my helmet, welcome back, you release me, or attempt to trade me. We all know that that’s a possibility, but a way out there possibility.

“And he says, ‘Playing here is not an option, but we can’t envision you playing with another team, either.’ And I thought, so basically, I’m not playing for anyone.”

Favre, dressed casually in a T-shirt, told Van Susteren that he was guilty of retiring early and “there is a reason for that. And the major issue is, ‘Why did he retire?’ and ‘He asked for a release because he doesn’t want to play in Green Bay.’ That’s not true. And I hope people are hearing this and saying, ‘OK, that clears it up.’ ”

This has turned into a nightmare. I just want it to stop.

This back and forth stuff, this public feuding, is unreal.


FAVRE: I'm guilty of one thing, and that's retiring early. And I have an answer for that, um, and I have spoke of that, and I knew that I'd have second thoughts. And I think Mike has even made the comment that, you know, 'I knew Brett would go through this. I knew that he would have these second thoughts.'

Well, I am.

And so, I mean, you're telling me that playing there is not an option, but playing elsewhere... We just can't... You know, we're trying to protect your legacy.

Well, thank you. I appreciate that. But apparently now, they want to protect my legacy by bringing me back and having me be a backup. Boy, that is really good.


Favre is mad.

Talking about the lies being put out there by the Packer organization, especially the stories told by Ted Thompson, Favre says, "So, I mean... I mean it's ridiculous. It really is."

Favre sums up the situation best: "It's unfortunate that it has come to this."

I couldn't agree more.

2 comments:

Jimi5150 said...

I agree. I blogged about it today so I won't repeat myself except to say . . .

Brett coming back (should that happen) makes me as nervous, perhaps more so, than Aaron starting for the Packers. While part of me thinks it'd be great if he did come back . . . boy will it suck if he doesn't perform up to expectation. At least we don't have a measure to hold to Aaron, yet.

Being pleasantly surprised is better than being regretfully disappointed.

Mary said...

I'm coming around to the position that the Packers should bring back Favre as the starter.

Bring him back. If he's as good as he was last year, great.

If he's not, give Rodgers the helmet and Favre the clipboard.