Thursday, July 17, 2008

Favre and the Vikings: Allegations of Tampering

Tensions between Brett Favre and the Packers are escalating.

The latest development, involving the Vikings, takes the feud to a new level.

It has become surreal.

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:


A National Football League source said Wednesday night that the Packers had filed a tampering charge with the league against the Vikings in connection with alleged contact with Brett Favre.

The source said the Packers had provided evidence and information about the alleged contact. At this point, investigators for the league will look into the matter and decide what, if anything, to do. The source added that the Packers feel the case against the Vikings is strong.

Allegations of tampering are touchy subjects among professional sports franchises, and the penalties can include the loss of draft choices and fines.

The fact that the alleged contact involved Favre makes the case particularly sensitive because of his bitter dispute with the Packers, who still hold his rights. Additionally, the fact that the case involves the Vikings, a rival in the NFC North, is sure to fuel animosity between the two franchises.

Good Lord!

Now we add tampering charges and the Vikings to the already toxic mix?

Unbelievable.

Both Favre and the Packers need to take a time out, not like athletes but like misbehaving preschoolers.

This thing is spinning out of control. I don't enjoy this drama. I think it's a terrible shame.

The escalation in hostilities is bringing disgrace to all parties involved.

It's far too late for this to end well.

If Favre and the Packers were neighboring countries, they would be amassing troops on their borders right now.

Absolutely surreal.

I've had enough.
_____________________

Greta Van Susteren had a third night of her interview with Favre. He gives his thoughts on "this guy," Ted Thompson.

On the Record is becoming the Brett Favre show.

Favre is the Natalee Holloway of the summer of 2008. All Favre, all the time.




Excerpt Favre On the Record Uncut, Part 6:
VAN SUSTEREN: Maybe I've got this wrong but for some reason I think the Green Bay franchise is different from every other franchise because it's owned by the community something like 6 million shareholders. The fans... Is it different playing in Green Bay than other teams, as far as you know?

FAVRE: Oh, I know. It's unfortunate for them, and for me, to have to even deal with this. I've said this all along, and I'm not just making it up: There are no better fans in all of sports, not just football, than Green Bay.

...Once again, you're from there. You know what it's like. I mean that is a special place. Where else could you field a team of that magnitude in a town of 100,000, 90,000 people and have a 40-year waiting list? I mean, the stats speak for themselves. And um, believe me, I didn't want to leave that. Um, and um, you know, my heart will always be in Green Bay.

And um, you know, I mean, once again, that's unfortunate. It's very unfortunate, 'cause it's nothing...it has nothing to do with the fans. And I hope they understand that. They know me. They've been around me long enough, and my commitment in March was not 100 percent. And I hope you can... as I talk to the fans, I hope you can understand the honesty when I say that.

You know, maybe some will say, 'Hey, come back at 75 percent. Who cares?' But I could not do that, and that's why I didn't.

VAN SUSTEREN: This isn't a business decision.

FAVRE: It has nothing to do with business. Nothing, nothing, 'cause just coming back and making 12 million dollars would be a good business decision, I guess. It's not about that.

This thing just keeps going from bad to worse.

Favre should have ended his career as a Packer.


Yes, he refused to commit to the team and he left them hanging, but Favre should have ended his career as a Packer.

End of story.

2 comments:

Jimi5150 said...

What's troubling to me now is that Favre referred to Thompson's actions as "under handed". If Brett has had conversations with the Vikings, it completely destroys his credibility . . . and image. Not that it couldn't get much worse.

I've been waffling on this. But, more and more, I just want Favre to go home.

Mary said...

I feel so bad that this is happening. I really do.

This back and forth has gone on for too long. It's become too ugly.

The Favre era is permanently damaged.