Thursday, July 17, 2008

Willie Davis on the Favre Feud

From the Associated Press:

For Willie Davis, it's a sad time to be a Green Bay Packer. The franchise is caught in a feud with Brett Favre, and there aren't any obvious solutions.

In other words, the Hall of Fame defensive end is a lot like an emerging majority of Packers fans - respectful of Favre's iconic status, but understanding of the team's need to move on.

"It is a bit of sadness," Davis said this week in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "And it's a bit of sadness because I know how much of a burden this places on everybody."

Davis, an emeritus member of the Packers' board of directors, played for Green Bay from 1960-1969 and was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1981. From his own experience, he knows how hard it can be for a player to know when to retire.

But he hasn't quite seen anything quite like this.

"It's not only a surprise to me," Davis said. "I cannot believe the magnitude of this thing."

...Davis remembers getting called by several teams after he retired, and remains thankful that he said no thanks.

"Hopefully, I was leaving at a time when I had one more game or one more season (left)," Davis said. "I didn't want somebody to tap me on the shoulder and say, 'Hey, Willie, sorry - it's time.'"

And while Davis understands Favre's frustration at the thought of coming back to the Packers with no guarantee that he'd get his starting job back - Thompson said Favre would have to return in a "different role than he was" because the team has committed to Rodgers - the Packers need to move on at some point.

"I understand it would be very difficult for him to come to Green Bay and not be No. 1 from day one," Davis said. "Yet, if the Packers moved forward as (we) were led to believe, how much do you let poor Rodgers sit there?"

..."I asked myself, 'Is there a good solution to this thing?' I've got to tell you, myself, Willie Davis, I don't see how you get a good solution out of this thing right now," Davis said.

Wise words from Willie.

No comments: