Friday, November 21, 2008

Rosie O'Donnell and Conan O'Brien, November 20


(Screen grab/NBC)

Rosie O'Donnell took her feud with Barbara Walters to Late Night with Conan O'Brien on Thursday.

She was Conan O'Brien's guest, hawking her new NBC prime time variety show.

O'Brien began the interview by asking O'Donnell about her experience on The View. He wondered if she watches the show or if she finds it difficult to watch because it's emotional.

O'DONNELL: Yeah, it's a little emotional. I have a little post-traumatic stress disorder when I watch it. I get a little bit flashbacks, like you know, Vietnam vets.

I think that's a disrespectful and tasteless analogy.

Anyway, O'Donnell used the forum to fire back at Barbara Walters. She was very sarcastic, saying the women on The View are all good friends and everyday after the show they go to Friday's for potato skins. She said they're all very chummy.

O'Brien told O'Donnell that he was wondering about it because earlier on Thursday, Walters was talking about a former member of the panel on The View.


O'Donnell pretended she hadn't seen the video. It was a very awkward set-up to air the clip of the comments by Walters that have O'Donnell so bent out of shape. (The woman always seems to be bent out of shape about someting.)

O'Brien seemed somewhat uncomfortable talking about the feud. It was a poor acting job on his part as well as on O'Donnell's part. O'Brien looked as relaxed as a hostage being forced to read text prepared by his captors.
WALTERS: But there are some people who have done this show, and then for years, feel they have to dump on it, maybe for their own publicity. And that not only hurts me, but I resent it. So, if the shoe fits, Lady, get on... Ladies, get on with your lives. We are not perfect. We are not always happy, but we're pretty good.


Barbara Walters' Message For The Former Ladies Of The View
by TheDlisted

Obviously, O'Donnell doesn't like that Walters responded to her remarks about The View.

She said, "Lady... That lady is pretty pissed off. I can't imagine what I've done. She's a little angry."

O'DONNELL: Barbara is the matriarch, just like a family Thanksgiving, like the grandmother sort of sets the tone. Even if your cousins are getting a divorce, you're not allowed to be dysfunctional. You know, you have to sort of get along... Play nice. She likes everyone to play nice. And so that's what I said, she likes everyone to play nice, but there's not like a lot of hanging out, meaning like nobody goes to Chili's for the potato skins....

Apparently, "Lady," she was talking about this lady, which it hurt her feelings. And truthfully, in spite of the fact that she now loathes me, I still do enjoy her. Yeah. I'm not sure I'm gonna be a guest on that show again because it didn't go down well. But, you know, I tried my best. I told them when they hired me that I had never worked on a show before where I wasn't the boss, and that there was a chance that might cause some problems.

Again, very sarcastically, O'Donnell threw Walters' words back at her.
O'DONNELL: Listen, I don't want to dump on the show in order to benefit my own career, you know, to use it for publicity because I didn't have a career before that show. So, I'm very thankful to The View for the help that it's given me in my life. And I'm a big fan of the program and the producer.

It's weird that O'Donnell is acting so offended when she began the war of words.

From the Los Angeles Times:

Barbara Walters, she told reporters on Wednesday morning, “wanted everyone to believe and think and act as if [the women on ‘The View’] get along and are really good friends and happy and hang out together, and, you know, that’s just not the reality.

“I’m not saying they loathe each other, but the fact of the matter is, there was not a lot of camaraderie off camera.”

On her blog, O'Donnell posted this response to Walters. It's basically the same stuff she said to O'Brien.




Why such bitterness? Why not just let it go? This feud does seem like a publicity stunt.

I wonder when Donald Trump will weigh in. He can't resist a good feud with Rosie O'Donnell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're not very bright, are you?

Are you familiar with stand-up comedians? Sarcasm is usually part of the job description.

Keep in mind that Rosie answered questions from reporters. THEY *always* ask about The View. She answered truthfully, and her words were used in news reports.

Barbara Walters is the one wrong in this case for getting all bent out of shape because THE LADIES [and you know she also means Star Jones, who also has the occasional comment] don't pretend things are all hunky-dory off-camera. She wants people to shut up because she doesn't like what they're saying. Smells like a form of censorship to me.