Thursday, February 19, 2009

Eric Holder and a "Nation of Cowards"

Attorney General Eric Holder, steeped in the corruption of Bill Clinton's presidential swan song pardons, is lecturing the country.

Crooked Eric Holder, one of the many ethically-challenged appointees of Barack Obama, has the audacity to slam Americans.

We're a "nation of cowards."

Unbelievable.

From FOX News:


Attorney General Eric Holder may have gone too far when he called the U.S. a "nation of cowards" during a speech at the Justice Department marking Black History Month, say some political observers who say such language could drive race relations in the wrong direction.

The remarks by the country's first black attorney general may have ripped open a scab that President Obama's election and much of his rhetoric had built on top of long-running wounds, they say.

"Well. it seems to me that it is off-message," said Michael Meyers, executive director of the New York Civil Rights Coalition, a multi-racial network of organizations that try to promote racial harmony and oppose all forms of bigotry. "I don't think Barack Obama believes that or would say that. Obama has been saying there is one America, one race, the human race."

But others say he is doing what is expected -- addressing an issue that Obama's election has enabled to be discussed.

...Race, Holder said, "is an issue we have never been at ease with and, given our nation's history, this is in some ways understandable. ... If we are to make progress in this area, we must feel comfortable enough with one another and tolerant enough of each other to have frank conversations about the racial matters that continue to divide us."

In his speech, Holder urged people of all races to use Black History Month as a chance for honest discussion of racial matters, including issues of health care, education and economic disparities. He also used more blunt language.

"Though this nation has proudly thought of itself as an ethnic melting pot, in things racial we have always been and I believe continue to be, in too many ways, essentially a nation of cowards," Holder said.

Matt Miller, a spokesman for Holder, said later the attorney general used "provocative words to be clear that Americans of all races should stop avoiding the difficult issues of race."

I agree with Holder's spokesman. Holder's words are provocative and they are clear.

He believes Americans are cowards when it comes to matters of race.

What a sweeping and exceedingly lame generalization!

Where does Holder get off chastising Americans on race?

Americans just elected Barack Obama to be president.

Holder is the Attorney General.

Where is the racial cowardice in that?

Good grief.


He and those of his ilk are in a time warp. They live in a different America than I do, one frozen from 40 or 50 years ago. My America isn't the backward place that Holder occupies.

At least Holder didn't rail like Jeremiah Wright, "God damn America!"

Obama's administration is a mess.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary you walk right into what Holder is talking about right here on your blog. Have some courage and instead of saying "no, the chimp does not represent Obama" reach out to an African American(s) and ask "Why do you feel that way; I don't understand?". Instead of deciding how other races/cultures should feel about certain issues, try to understand why. Yes you are entitled to your opinion, but your opinion is doing NOTHING for race relations.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to say that Obama is not post-racial. He very much is racial as is his wife, otherwise the good Rev Wright wouldn't have been such an intoxicating draw for 20 or so years.

As to the nation of cowards line, I would love to see some white folks attempt to be "honest" and "brave" about race in the US and we'll see just how quick they get smacked back into reality. I'm afraid that this racial honesty is meant for anyone expect white people. We are meant to listen and feel guilty about the past even if our ancestors were enslaved at some point in the past and never owned a single solitary slave.

Anonymous said...

Lauren,
Your comment is another example of what Holder is talking about. Why are you so angry about my post? I did not blame anything on white people. I AM WHITE!! I simply stated that it's better to try to understand why someone feels a certain way about something than decide how they should feel. I have had black people do this for me (the courageous ones). The point of reaching out to other cultures is to help dilute this anger that you so obviously still carry around.

I do not resent Holder; I agree with him. One of my family members served in Iraq for a year and was just deployed again this week (I'm sure you saw on the news). My sister is a Major in the Air Force and has given up her health to serve our great country. You made a poor assumption in assuming I was black and angry at white people (just another example of what Holder was talking about).

And to the other post, racial honesty does include white people. I know this from my own experiences. Have you ever tried? It seems like you are scared to. If there is one person that isn't receptive to you, try again. It does take courage.

I'm sad that my post will not make a difference to two people who I definite feel are angry and not willing to try. As Mary said just MOVE ON, right?

And Mary, you say understanding is a two way street, I'm assuming you will only start understanding if black people/other cultures do it first? You have not been very understanding regarding the feelings black people attach to images such as the one in the post. So sad, the anger all three of you have is so obvious. I doubt my post will even be approved.

Anonymous said...

Lauren, you clearly have never read the history of America. It was not that long ago that Blacks could not serve in the military as anything but cooks. In fact only 3 years ago was it found that in Seattle the police exam failed 90% of blacks and only 5% of whites even with identical answers. That was race based. Race is still a huge issue in this country and YOU are the coward for refusing to stand up and say, yes race is an issue and we must stomp it out.

Anonymous said...

In fact only 3 years ago was it found that in Seattle the police exam failed 90% of blacks and only 5% of whites even with identical answers.

Yeah...I'm sorry, however I'm going to need a bit of evidence that backs this absolutely absurd assertion.

I won't be holding my breath either.

Anonymous said...

I'm a black person and I can say that discrimination did/does exist where race is concerned.

While I don't agree with Holder completely, I am hoping that his comments will bring about a discussion on race that is LONG OVERDUE.

America is a powerful nation and always has been.

But, once this particular ghost of our past has been exorcised from our existence-with honesty and integrity- maybe we will be able to build an America where we can finally say, "Free at last..." (We all know the rest.)

Anonymous said...

Cyd: the case went to the Supreme Court of the US and the court said it was an embarassment and in a unanimous decision upheld the ruling as a violation of the law. Maybe you need to read more.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, the moron in question will not even see this as I only saw their "response" today. Here goes anyway.

The moron who made the claim that...

In fact only 3 years ago was it found that in Seattle the police exam failed 90% of blacks and only 5% of whites even with identical answers.

is an utter buffoon. I asked for evidence to back this assertion and all I got was more opinion. I NEED a LINK and HARD EVIDENCE for this bilge, idiot. If you cannot provide it, then just STFU about it. Don't pretend you can "read" or that you "know" things.

Funny enough, the only thing I found when trying to Google anything remotely close to Seattle Police and black white discrimination is this...

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=wa&vol=2002_app/48499-1&invol=3

A case where two white officers sued due to being passed over for Sargent despite getting higher scores than the black officers who were given the promotion. They won. I can find a lot of info about THIS type of discrimination though the opposite, the kind asserted by the idiot, where blacks from 3 years ago were being failed hand over fist "with identical answers" to whites is simply fantasy.

At least Mary will be able to enjoy the smackdown.

Mary said...

Very enjoyable, Cyd. :)