Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sycloria Williams Tells Her Abortion Story

Sycloria Williams chose to terminate her pregnancy in the 23rd week.

Williams claims that she didn't realize at the time she made that decision that she was ending the life of her daughter. She didn't get that her baby girl was in her 23rd week of development. She didn't look at it that way. In her mind, she was simply getting rid of a "blob thing," not a baby.

WorldNetDaily reports:

A mother of a baby swept into a biohazard bag by an abortion business worker and left to die says she now feels cheated because she wasn't told her pregnancy involved a live human being.

"They never said anything to me that would make me think it was a baby. They never said anything like baby, fetus. Nothing. They only said things like 'termination' and 'pregnancy' and 'termination of pregnancy,'" Sycloria Williams told the Florida Catholic newspaper.

"They cheated me because they didn't tell me everything and the doctor wasn't there," she said.

It's hard to believe that Williams could be 23 weeks pregnant and not understand that she was carrying a baby. At that point in pregnancy, the mother can feel the baby move.

Once the baby begins to give you little kicks and punches, once you feel the baby moving within you, there's no denying that you're carrying a life, a being.

Apparently, Williams didn't pick up on that. Who knows? Maybe her baby wasn't very active, but it's still difficult to accept that she feels cheated because no one ever "said anything to [her] that would make [her] think it was a baby."

I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous.

In the Florida Catholic, Williams tells her side of the story.

On the morning of July 20, 2006, Sycloria Williams, age 18, went for an abortion – a late-term abortion that she says went terribly wrong.

Now 21, the Hollywood resident has filed a civil lawsuit accusing the clinic staff of delivering her child alive and killing the newborn girl by stuffing her into a biohazard bag.

Williams spoke exclusively to the Florida Catholic Jan. 28. She said she is sharing her experience of what happened inside A GYN. of Hialeah Inc. because people “need to know.”

The article gives some background on Williams and the baby's father.
A slight woman with dark, almond-shaped eyes, black hair and a bright smile, Williams said her friends call her “Slim” because of her build and propensity to stay that way.

...Williams named her dead daughter Shanice Denise Osbourne, after her then-boyfriend, who accompanied her to the abortion clinic. “Shane looked over me,” she said.

The baby’s biological father had left after she told him she was pregnant. “He just stopped calling, coming around,” Williams said. “He just disappeared, you know.”

The biological father of the baby abandoned Williams and his child when Williams told him she was pregnant. What a guy! However, her pregnancy didn't keep Williams from finding a boyfriend.

She even named her dead daughter after her "then-boyfriend."

Obviously, Williams did not have stability in her life when it came to relationships. There was a lot of irresponsibility involved.

That's troubling enough; but the details of Williams' botched late-term abortion, the birth of her baby girl, and then the little one's death are terribly disturbing.

No doubt, it was a traumatic experience for Williams to give birth to a live baby when she planned on sleeping through a procedure and waking up not pregnant.

“I was supposed to be asleep for all of this. I wasn’t supposed to see anything. Just wake up and it will all be over,” Williams said.

That's not the way it worked out. Instead, Williams was awake to witness her "choice."

There are some inconsistencies in her story.

She found the clinic in the Yellow Pages. She went there seeking an abortion. After a sonogram she was told she would need the more complicated late-term abortion procedure because she was already 23 weeks pregnant.

Williams said that day she signed consent forms and was given some medications, all without meeting her doctor, Pierre Jean-Jacque Renelique.

She met him two days later, July 19, at A Woman’s Care Inc. in North Miami. Williams said Renelique gave her a brief, undetailed description of the procedure.

“He said that it was a two-day procedure, to take my medicines, and come back the next day. He just said it like one, two, three,” Williams said.

She said she asked questions about the abortion and felt Renelique’s answers were to her satisfaction.

“I asked a lot of questions. I asked like how long it would take, who would be my doctor, how often have they done this, about the equipment, and what they do with the baby,” she said.

“They said they freeze the body,” she added. “They freeze it,” she repeated in a whisper, lowering her head and eyes.

That's so gruesome.

It's interesting that Williams says she asked a lot of questions, including about "what they do with the baby."

The fact that she asked what would happen to the "baby" indicates that she did realize she was ending a human life, not ridding herself of a "blob."

Before going through with the abortion, Williams was told what would happen to her child's remains after being aborted.

“They said they freeze the body,” she added. “They freeze it,” she repeated in a whisper, lowering her head and eyes.

The Florida Catholic article details Williams' horrific experience with the botched abortion, step by step.

Because the doctor failed to show up in time, she delivered a live baby.

Williams recalls grabbing the armrests of her chair and elevating herself to a squatting position, heels at the edges of her seat. The receptionist and staff kept telling her to sit down and close her legs, but she couldn’t comply. “There was just no stopping it,” she said.

Williams said she delivered her baby, Shanice, onto the recliner almost immediately after squatting. First amniotic fluid spilled out, then the baby dropped onto the cushion.

“When I saw that happen, I jumped off the chair and turned away, facing the wall,” Williams said.

Shanice’s body slid on the blood and amniotic fluids into the rear corner of the recliner because she was still attached to Williams by the umbilical cord. “When I jumped off I pulled her like into the back of the chair because she was still attached,” she said.

According to Williams and the lawsuit, the receptionist and the staff began screaming and rushing, trying to figure out what to do. Williams said she stood against the wall, glancing in horror at her newborn baby. “She wasn’t moving much. Twitching, gasping for air. She wasn’t crying though, just hissing. Hissing sounds only.”

The sight of a fully formed baby was a complete surprise to Williams.

“I thought it would be a blob thing, but bigger, not a baby,” she said. “She looked like a Water Baby. Like those dolls you fill up with water. She was really little, like this,” she said, holding her hands about 12 inches apart.

So Williams was completely caught off guard by the sight of a "fully formed baby."

She was expecting to see a "blob thing, but bigger, not a baby."

Again, when Williams describes her initial consultation and exam, she specifically asked "what they do with the baby" after the abortion.

She was told the baby's body would be frozen.

If Williams thought she was aborting a "blob thing," I don't know why she'd care about what would happen to it. Furthermore, she was told the baby's body would be frozen -- body, not blob.

I don't think Williams was really as clueless as she's saying she was.

In any event, her case is positively horrific.

It's chilling to read the allegations in the lawsuit.

Sycloria Williams is being represented by the Thomas More Society, with Miami attorney Tom Pennekamp handling the case. She is suing for wrongful death, medical negligence and personal injury. The lawsuit alleges that Belkis Gonzalez and 12 other defendants – who jointly own or work for a conglomerate of four south Florida abortion clinics – engaged in an unlicensed and unauthorized medical practice, botched abortions, evasive tactics, falsified medical records and killing, hiding and disposing of a baby who was born alive.

If Williams' account is accurate, I can understand why she would sue.

What I don't understand is the part about her voluntarily going to a clinic to have her daughter aborted, but she flips out because she was awake to see her daughter born and then taken off to die.

Speaking of wrongful death, medical negligence and personal injury --

I think Shanice would have a case against her mother.

7 comments:

Jill said...

I honestly do have compassion for this girl; I hope that the remorse that she is now showing is genuing. However, I must admit that I have had many of the same thoughts as you while hearing more and more of her story.

Mary said...

It's not that I don't have compassion for her.

As I said in my post, I recognize how traumatic it must have been for her to experience what she did.

I hope that she now understands fetal development and respects life. I hope her remorse is genuine.

I think it's unspeakably tragic that it took aborting her baby daughter for her to learn the lessons that she has.

It's sad that she has to live with the reality of what she did to her daughter.

Maybe by telling her story, Williams is sparing the lives of other babies from suffering the same fate. She could find some comfort in that.

Anonymous said...

How does someone not know they're carrying a baby at 23 weeks? I'm not convinced that can be true. Maybe she just tried not to think about it, but I can't believe that someone is really that detached from another being growing inside her own body.

This story is really sad.

Why couldn't she speak up and say, "Please don't kill my baby." If they had rushed the baby to the hospital, someone could have revived her.

There is something very, very wrong with the values people show in this country.

Why are people's posts being deleted by administrators?

Mary said...

Lauren asks:

Why are people's posts being deleted by administrators?

I am the administrator of this blog.

As you know, I use comment moderation. I decide which comments to post.

When things were heating up just before the presidential election, I was getting a lot of really foul comments.

I don't want my site to be a cesspool.

I welcome and publish all points of view.

I reject comments that are ad hominem attacks on me or other commenters. I reject comments that are beyond the pale in terms of profanity.

There are some trolls that I've banned. They're truly pathetic sorts.

Some people think it's fun to assume different identities on the Internet, conservative and liberal. I think it's a lame exercise.

Now and then, I choose to post the comments briefly and then delete them.

Today, I chose to illustrate some of the ugliness of the Leftists, (or those pretending to be Leftists.)

Jill said...

Hi Mary. I didn't mean to apply in any way that you did not have compassion for her; I'm sorry if my comment came across that way. As for the rest of your comment, I totally agree!

Mary said...

Jill, I just wanted to clarify that I do feel compassion for her.

After reading your comment, I was concerned that my original post didn't have that balance, that the compassion was lost in all the criticism I expressed.

Hannah Rose said...

Wow, this is a heartbreaking, devastating story. I feel awful for the precious baby that was lost as well as for the mother. Though it's hard to believe she didn't understand what she was doing that far along. But, even if she did, she has been wounded by the unnecessary loss of her daughter. I found this story on Jil Stanek's youtube page where she posted about the funeral for Shanice.

I would like to share my Pro-Life testimony with you on my blog at www.roseandherlily.blogspot.com. Just click on "My Testimony" on the top toolbar and then "Luke Shiloh" and "March 16, 2010" after that. And I'd love to hear back from you.

Blessings,
Hannah Rose