Saturday, April 18, 2009

Charles Barkley and Jay Leno, April 17


Charles Barkley (Photo/NBC)

Charles Barkley was Jay Leno's guest on Friday's Tonight Show.

In addition to discussing his recent DUI and jail experience, he slammed the Republican Party, and talk radio and FOX News personalities -- Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Glenn Beck.

Barkley wasn't joking when he talked about his DUI. This was his public mea culpa. It was another celebrity trying to undo the damage of a serious screw-up by appearing on a late night talk show.

What struck me as really weird was how Barkley said more than once that until you get a DUI, you never really think about drinking and driving. Really?

Apparently, Barkley has spent a lifetime on the road under the influence and not thinking twice about it.

When Leno led Barkley into a discussion of politics, the interview took a sharp turn to the Left and it became very clear just how scripted the interview was.

Leno asked about the books Barkley read while he was in jail. Barkley said that he's trying to learn Spanish, so he read Spanish for Dummies. He also read "President Obama's book -- again."

Transcript

JAY LENO: So what books did you read while you were in there, besides Spanish for Dummies?

CHARLES BARKLEY: Well, I read President Obama's book -- again. I read my Spanish for Dummies book, but that's pretty much it, those two books, 'cause I'm so happy about the president. I just...

LENO: 'Cause I thought you read... Didn't you read Rush Limbaugh's book while you were in there?

BARKLEY: Oh, the book about somebody called him a big, fat liar.

LENO: Oh yeah, yeah. I know the book.

BARKLEY: I mean, I didn't realize the book was true, but it is true.

LENO: That's Sen. Franken... wrote that book.

BARKLEY: Yeah, I like him. Has he won the election yet?

LENO: Yeah, he won the election.

BARKLEY: I know, but he's still been going to court.

LENO: Nah, nah. He won. He won. They're just going to court. Now, are you a fan? Did you used to be a fan of Rush Limbaugh?

BARKLEY: I used to be. Neither party is anything to write home about, but the Republican Party just went Right-wing whack nutjob on America and screwed up the country. You know, and I'm just... I'm so disappointed in this partisan politics.

LENO: Yeah, yeah.

BARKLEY: You know, you know, and I went off on Rush Limbaugh because, you know, he talked about he wanted Senator... President Obama to fail, and things like that. First of all, I just think that's unpatriotic for somebody who's successful. We should want him to succeed. I mean, you look at this country now. We got all these foreclosures. We got all these people who are laid off. We should be behind him 110 percent, hoping he's successful. And I just thought it was unpatriotic and basically BS for Rush Limbaugh, and that idiot Sean Hannity, and Glenn Beck, all those idiots, to, like, not root for this guy.

[APPLAUSE]

I guess it's official. Al Franken is Minnesota's new senator. Leno has declared the race over.

Leno has definitely jumped off the fence politically. He used to be more balanced compared to David Letterman. That's over.

No comments: