Friday, April 3, 2009

Simrat Ghuman and Barack Obama

There was a very unprofessional, very strange exchange at Barack Obama's G20 news conference yesterday.

A reporter from India, Simrat Ghuman, gushed when Obama called on her.

She probably still hasn't recovered.

I suppose I shouldn't criticize her. The American lib media have had much more contact with Obama and they're still swooning and drooling over him.

A young Indian reporter was 'walking on air' after being treated to a bit of the old Obama magic at the end of the G20 summit here Thursday.

Actually, the magic's still kind of new - this was Barack Obama's first major international outing since becoming US president in January.

Two hours after Obama drew her into a prolonged, casually stylish and good-humoured banter toward the fag end of a packed press conference, television reporter Simrat Ghuman said: 'Yes, I am still walking on air. it certainly seems that way.'

'I had my hand up all through and had nearly given up hope, when he suddenly picked me,' she said.

Ghuman, who works for the Times Now television network, had reason to feel like the world Thursday night was her oyster.

There were some 2,500 journalists from around the world at the summit, and a big chunk of them - certainly the huge American contingent - had filled Obama's press conference to standing room only.

When Obama picked her out of nowhere, Ghuman asked how his meeting with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh went, and whether the two had discussed Pakistan and terrorism.

...And then he talked about terrorism and climate change for a full three minutes 55 seconds.

Not bad for a young Indian journalist. Not bad for a young American president.

Here's the transcript of the "magic":
OBAMA: One correspondent not from America, and then I will... (AUDIENCE): India. You know, we're not doing bidding here.

(LAUGHTER)

Come on. But I also want it make sure that I'm not showing gender bias. So this young lady right here. Not you, sir. I'm sorry.

(LAUGHTER)

QUESTION: Hi, Mr. President. OBAMA: How are you?

QUESTION: Thank you for choosing me. I'm very well. I'm (inaudible) from the Times of India.

OBAMA: Wonderful.

QUESTION: You met with our Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. What did you -- what are you -- what is America doing to help India battle terrorism emanating from Pakistan?

OBAMA: Well, first of all, your prime minister is a wonderful man.

QUESTION: Thank you. I agree.

(LAUGHTER)

I agree.

OBAMA: You know, did you have something to do with that?

(LAUGHTER)

You seem to kind of take credit for it a little bit there.

(LAUGHTER)

QUESTION: We're really proud of him, so...

OBAMA: Of course. You should be proud of him. I'm teasing you. I think he's a very wise and decent man and has done a wonderful job in guiding India, even prior to being prime minister, along a path of extraordinary economic growth that is a marvel, I think, for all the world. We did discuss the issue of terrorism....

Obama then proceeded to give his answer. I didn't think it was a magical moment.

I thought it was rather uncomfortable. Ghuman was so giddy and Obama's teasing seemed kind of weird.

"Your prime minister is a wonderful man.... Did you have something to do with that?"

That's not magic. It was bizarre banter. It had the feel of something you'd overhear at a crowded bar.

What's lost in all the fawning by Ghuman and the press in India is the fact that Obama didn't answer her question. He rambled and never answered.


Here's the video.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

in her stand-up piece to camera, she made it very clear that having confirmed the terror discussion, the prez casually moved on, and didnt bother elaborating.
she's a wonderful colleague and isnt fawning at all

Mary said...

Ms. Ghuman says she's "walking on air." That's fawning.

As I said, she didn't act any differently than the American liberal media.

Ms. Ghuman asked, "[W]hat is America doing to help India battle terrorism emanating from Pakistan?"

Yes, Obama confirmed that he discussed terrorism, I mean "man-caused disasters," with India's PM.

But Obama did not say what America would do to help India. Among other things, he babbled about America's carbon footprint and energy.

I certainly don't blame Ms. Ghuman for Obama's non-answer. He does that all the time.

Cyd said...

I don't know if anyone has seen or read this, however I find it shocking.

Here is the link

In reference to Brazilian President "Lula", he states "that's my man right here". Knowing full well that Lula put all the blame of the world's problems and financial catastrophe on "white people with blue eyes" and that blacks, browns etc were innocent according to Lula, as he made the statement right in front of the British PM, Obama finds it OK to heap praise on him.

I never really believed that Obama hated white people as others have claimed, until now. I find him quite reprehensible and an anti-white racist, just like his wife.

His statement was quite offensive and completely inappropriate for a President who leads a country that is still predominately white.

Anonymous said...

I also watched Simrat Ghuman's performance and her extremely professional take on it on BBC World News the following night.
I have met the young lady and found her to be professional and courteous, both things I feel the writer of this blog is somewhat missing. You seem a little bitter...

Mary said...

Yeah, no.

Anonymous said...

I read your take on unprofessional journalism with interest as I found it initially harsh. Having watched the Queen 'joke' with Burlusconi during the G20 photoshoot and Burlusconi hog the lime-light shamelessly in general I was left with the overwhelming feeling that life with politicians and journalists that behave like lawyers is a poor life indeed. We need people who make us smile, have genuine life and do not always say the 'right' thing or ask the 'right' questions. We need this especially in the political world in my opinion, perhaps less so in the mass media. I enjoyed Simrat Ghuman's interaction with the president because it was different to the drudgery that had gone before.That is also why it got more air-time.

Tanya said...

While I agree journalists should be lively, I feel there are certain lines drawn between professionalism and being too familiar with the subject. Firstly, TOI should have sent a more seasoned reporter to the G20 Summit. India is yet to realize there is more to news content than Bollywood and Cricket. Secondly, even if the President of the USA was bantering with the TOI journalist, she should have been more in control. This was poor journalistic representation.

'Thank you, I agree' in a sing song voice I have only heard through airport boarding announcements??? I think not.

Anonymous said...

I guess what Obama meant here was that 'you are responsible' in electing Dr. Singh, being the largest democracy in the world.

Jitendra said...

I agree with Mary...

"...But Obama did not say what America would do to help India. Among other things, he babbled about America's carbon footprint and energy.

I certainly don't blame Ms. Ghuman for Obama's non-answer. He does that all the time."

Anonymous said...

The appropriate response: I know that you are joking with me, Mr. President. But, I do have serious answer to your question, if i may...I am a citizen of the largest democracy in the world, sir, and so yes, I had something to do with putting him there.