Friday, May 29, 2009

Craig T. Nelson and Glenn Beck

Craig T. Nelson, star of the '90s TV series Coach, is ready for a revolution.

On Glenn Beck's show, Nelson joked around a bit but then became very serious. He's fed up because the government has let him down. He doesn't want to pay income taxes anymore.

Transcript

GLENN BECK: You're from California.

CRAIG T. NELSON: It's no longer a state. It's a hedge fund, you know?

BECK: Yeah. It's crazy.

NELSON: Well, I do have a solution. There's only one way. We've got to make them, you know, we've got to make people stand up for their responsibilities. They were accountable, and they haven't been. No one is accountable anymore for anything. No one did anything wrong. No one's, everyone's 'Well, you're to blame. That's to blame. This is to blame.'

As an investor, as someone who gets taxed an awful lot, I just say I'm not gonna pay, till you guys can show me that you're fiscally responsible. Until then... listen, the first they went after -- education. We're gonna cut education...

BECK: Why would they do that?

NELSON: Why? That's the most important thing in the world.

BECK: And then cops and prisons.

NELSON: And firefighters. We don't have any fires in California.

BECK: (Laughs)

NELSON: They were within half a mile of my house three times.

BECK: When you saw Jay Leno and Arnold Schwarzenegger...

NELSON: Is my voice really high?

BECK: No, it's the head cold. Um, it's the beginning of the swine flu.

NELSON: I gotta remember to breathe.

BECK: When you saw Arnold Schwarzenegger on Leno the other day... Did you?

NELSON: No, I didn't.

BECK: Well basically he said, 'I get the message now. I got the message now and we're supposed to'... Now you get the message?

NELSON: No, no, no. It's... Look at, we've had legislators... We are no longer represented. OK? We just aren't. And there's been a political fight. There's been a pluralism in our California government, and you certainly see it reflected in the national government, don't you? I mean, people are, people are blaming each other. Nobody's taking responsibility for what they said or what they did. And those people are responsible to us. They were elected. This is a democracy. It's a republic. My God!

BECK: Thank you for saying we're a republic.

NELSON: No, we are a republic, and that means that we need to be represented. So we're not being...Listen, I'm not gonna pay... I'm not gonna pay anymore money. What these people are asking me to do...

BECK: You're seriously saying I'm not gonna, you're not gonna...

NELSON: No, I'm asking Glenn Beck to promote this. I'm saying it personally. But I'm asking you...

BECK: No, I know. Are you saying you personally won't pay income tax anymore?

NELSON: I'm really thinking about it, Glenn, because as a fiscally responsible grandfather, there are programs that they're asking me to fund that I refuse to fund. If the veterans coming back are not getting what they deserve, those people that have served, they've put themselves in harm's way. If my children, my grandchildren, and my great-grandchild who's about to be here -- thank you, grandson -- is not going to be educated properly then I'm through with it. You know, I'm not gonna spend money on these things that your asking me to spend...

They should be allowed to go bankrupt. What happened...? We are a capitalistic society. OK. I go into business. I don't make it. I go bankrupt. They're not gonna bail me out.

I've been on food stamps and welfare. Anybody help me out? No. No. They gave me hope and they gave me encouragement and they gave me a vision. And that came from my education. So, to me, you know, going back to California, and the hedge fund, 'cause we're no longer a state, I just feel like going after our kids, our education, and the most valuable people we have on the planet, teachers... I just gotta tell you I'm so sick and tired of it. I'm just sick and tired of it. And I'm old enough now to have been in the business 45 years. They can't fire me.

Coach is pissed.

I can relate.

Video.


10 comments:

Jill said...

I loved this! I even watched it again the second time it was on last night because it was so awesome to hear someone in Hollywood express this frustration :)

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Actually, rather than Coach, I like to relate him to his role in Call to Glory.

Don Stuart said...

Where are all the other Americans standing up for the same ideals? Hang in there we're coming!

Mary said...

Yes. There's a lot of frustration out there and it's boiling over.

Chazzmacelroy said...

The Coach is right. If a company fails, like GM, Ford, and Chrysler, they should fail. That's the way the marketplace works. If you throw money into the bottomless pit that is the Detroit auto industry, all that will happen is the taxpayers' loss of billions (with a b) of dollars. Thank God the Coach knows what he's talking about, and that someone is standing up against the liberal "Drag everyone down" beliefs.

KZ said...

Bankruptcy -is- a bailout. When you go bankrupt, your debts are forgiven, so what would you call that? Food stamps and welfare aren't help? They come from nowhere? Coach is an idiot. Sorry to state it so plain, but seriously...

Unknown said...

Those of you that missed his food stamp and welfare comments are as big of an idiot as he is. An even bigger one is Glen Beck who is so eager to agree with him that he just missed the whole thing. Those were his bailouts. So Is bankruptcy where your debts are forgiven. But don't fool yourselves that no one pays for forgiven debts, food stamps, and welfare. A wise man once said, "The average American Man would vote to have zero taxes, free beer, and vagina trees". It doesn't make it right. LOL. We just saw two of those men.

Chazzmacelroy said...

I think that you detractors of the Coach are very wrong. What you fail to grasp is that conservatives think that the auto industry should fail, and go bankrupt, without government bailouts before they go bankrupt. The Big Three are going to fail anyways, so it might as well be without the taxpayers throwing any money into a bottomless pit. Let them go bankrupt, start over again when they make good cars, and then proceed again into the overseas market. The Coach is right and you are wrong.

PMorgan said...

Why did he accept food stamps and welfare from the government ? I am shocked that he could be so stupid not to realize and understand that "YES" he was helped out by all of US collectively the taxpayers of the USA that fed him, helped pay for the clothes om his back, and helped him pay for shelter and now that he is a millionaire he does not want to pay taxes...so he is stupid and selfish...no wonder FOX loves him.

Chazzmacelroy said...

Fox is the only responsible news network. Its ratings are up, with Bill O'Reilly the #1 cable news show anchor. Too bad people like you, PMorgan, don't seem to realize that the mainstream media are in the tank for the government. Wise up, fast.