Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Glenn Beck on 'The View': Video

UPDATE: Amtrak Refuses to Investigate Beck’s Claim of ‘Reserved’ Seating for Walters & Whoopi
____________________

Barbara Walters and Whoopi Goldberg ambushed Glenn Beck on The View this morning. They were livid over his telling of an encounter he had with them on an Amtrak train on the way to the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner.

Background here.

Things got really ugly.

Right out of the gate, Walters brought up the Amtrak episode.

Whoopi was genuinely angry.

Joy Behar was beaming as Beck squirmed.

Elisabeth Hasselbeck basically stayed quiet.

Whoopi said, "The following Monday, I got this link from somebody, sent to me. Really pissed me off because I would... I don't want to just say, 'Glenn Beck, you lied.' But let's take a look."

This clip, video of Beck doing his radio show and discussing the Amtrak incident, was played.




Beck apologized to Walters.

Transcript

GLENN BECK: Mischaracterization, mischaracterization of you, Ms. Walters. I'm sorry for the bad...

Walters said that Beck approached them and that she was very nice and polite to him. Beck agreed.

JOY BEHAR: Why did you lie about that?

BECK: Why did I lie about that?

BEHAR: Yeah, why did you say she came over?

BECK: I don't know. I came over.

BEHAR: So you just had a brain fart, or what?

BECK: Yeah, I guess so. Yeah.

WHOOPI GOLDBERG: So Steve Kroft, I wanted to make sure before I brought this up to you. We didn't reserve our seats. I don't know... Wait, let me just...

[Crosstalk]

BECK: You're accusing me of lying. Let me tell you what...

GOLDBERG: You did lie! What do you mean I'm accusing you?

BECK: I'm sorry.

GOLDBERG: You sat there and you were a lying sack of dog mess. Come on, Glenn. You lied.

BECK: I'm sorry that I...

GOLDBERG: You know what, Glenn? Here's the thing that was true: I was not particularly happy to see you because I watch your show...

BECK: You don't like me.

GOLDBERG: No, I don't like your views. I don't know you, OK? I don't like your views, OK? There's a lot of people that I don't like whose views that I don't agree with.

BECK: True.

GOLDBERG: That's OK. But for you to make something up like that, and drag... Wait a minute... and drag us in, and put it as though we...

BECK: I was told by the Amtrak... and I have other people that were with me.

GOLDBERG: That's not what you said.

BECK: I was told by the Amtrak people that those were going to be reserved, and I would be...

GOLDBERG: You dragged us into it, and it was a lie.

BECK: Excuse me. I would be so excited when I find out who's sitting there.

GOLDBERG: It was a lie.

BARBARA WALTERS: Why didn't you bother, as a reporter, who goes on to check? As it happened, Whoopi and I had a hard time finding seats. We finally did at the end of the car. Steve Kroft...

BECK: So you're saying...

WALTERS: Wait. And you saw him come in. There were no seats for Steve. He and his wife were separated. You are an investigative reporter.

BECK: NO, I'm not.

WALTERS: You're a reporter.

BECK: No, I am not.

WALTERS: So you check no facts at all, right?

BECK: No, ma'am. I am commentator. I am a commentator. I commentate on life.

WALTERS: As a commentator, do you ever check your facts?

GOLDBERG: But you were wrong here. And here's why it pissed me off, here's why it pissed me off more than anything: Because regardless of that, when I got off that train, and your big man was standing there, I had a good moment with you. And I thought, 'OK, this is all right.' When I saw this (referring to the clip) and what went on to it, I thought, 'Why would you drag me into it?' But number one, why would you say that she called you over with that voice? 'Come over here.' And then say, I mean, it's there.

BECK: Do you, do you not think, that I mean, I mean... did you not think that I knew this was coming? Did you not think I knew this was coming? I have no problem defending... I have no problem...

GOLDBERG: I don't care if you knew what it was. Why did you lie, Glenn? Why did you try to make some stuff up about Barbara and I? That's what I'm trying to find out.

BECK: I'm sorry that I, to use Nancy Pelosi's words, 'misspoke' about being, you calling me over. You did not call me over. I went over....

WALTERS: Now, let me just ask you something else, because we did invite you on because you are a very hot talent. And you say you are a commentator, and we all have different points... Bill O'Reilly's on with us. We don't agree. We do agree. We love him, etc. But when you say you're a commentator, you never check any facts that you are giving out to the public?

BECK: Ma'am, I will tell you. I will show the people that were with me. I was traveling with three other people.

WALTERS: No, I'm talking about in general. I'm talking about moving along.

BECK: Of course I do.

Moral of the story: Always tell the truth. Don't embellish.
_______________

Here's a transcript of Beck discussing his jitters about appearing on The View.

Turns out he had good reason to be nervous.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

So big deal. Glenn didn't remember who approached who first. Why is that so significant? So he made fun of Barbara a tad (the old lady voice, she is old even though she is an amazing woman). He could have gone much farther than that and attack her speech impediment like Gilda Radner and countless other comedians. The man is an entertainer/commentator. Whoopi admitted she gave him a look. Where is the big lie? What is up with attacking him and not even letting him defend himself? There are much bigger issues they could have used their energy on and they wasted it on petty garbage.

Mary said...

Whoopi and Barbara really did go ballistic over a rather minor discrepancy.

They didn't have to go so nuts to set the record straight.

swexie said...

That was not an innocent story used for entertainment and Glen Beck is not a comedian doing a parody.
Context is everything. The entire piece was designed to paint them in a bad light. He played on the whole "Hollywood Elite" thing by making them sound snobby, and that they could get a reservation though no one else could. If you can't see the hostility and manipulation behind his behavior, you are not paying attention.

Anonymous said...

Did anyone actually watch the clip of Beck's show? There was nothing said about anyone coming up to anyone else! What he said was this:
"...and as the train took off Ms. Walters said, 'Glenn Beck,' ...."
Ummm.... ?
What was all the fuss about?
Whoopi said she gave him "the same look [she was] giving [him] right now."
I fail to see how he's a lying sack of dog mess. Or how ANY of that was important.

Unknown said...

Glenn's REAL error was in trying to be polite and apologize. They smelt water in the blood right then.

Hind site being what it is he should of said something like: "Let me explain ladies, I was telling a story so I embellished, I took a license, it was supposed to be anecdotal"

Followed by: I do apologize if you found that story offensive in any way.

discgear said...

It is significant because Beck lied. How can anyone excuse that? Would you not be upset if someone made something up about you and went on the airwaves saying that? He admitted it - that he lied. I really don't think it was a minor discrepancy. It was the fact that he said they came on with a police escourt and had reserved seats with the implication that they felt that they were better than everyone and that wasn't the case.

This man made up facts to support the fact that he is picked on.

Further, when Ms Walters asked him about the tears ans what he really belives in he went on the defensive. Where was ANYONE making fun of him? Oh wait - NO one did! But that is his spin on it. Poor man, picked on by all those nasty nasty women.

Hopefully people will see him as he is - a man who obviously manipulates the situation to make himself look picked on by the "liberal" population when in fact he give out more than he can take.

He got caught. He needs to face it and admit that HE over reacted!

Anonymous said...

Beck's a strange little bugger.

Jill said...

They probably just wanted to waste most of their time with him so that they didn't have to debate him on anything of real substance. I wonder if in his mind he was thinking "NEVER again!" I hope so, he has better things to do.

B.J. said...

A friend emailed me about this episode of “The View,” which I missed. THANKS for going the extra mile and adding the transcript! I am legally blind and on a dial-up connection, so videos are a problem. I’ve linked your post in my sidebar at demwit dot blogspot dot com Beck is proof that lying attracts viewers like honey attracts flies, and he is right at home on Fox. Best, BJ

Unknown said...

discgear "Would you not be upset if someone made something up about you and went on the airwaves saying that?" Lets ask GW Bush that question, or WJ Clinton.

The view has been making stuff up and lying on air since its inception, they just cannot take what they dish. Google references abound on this fact.

BJ: Your blanket condemnation with no specifics shows you care little for truth and prefer the koolaid talking points

Frodo, Keeper of the Ring said...

Lee, please be more sensitive to the feelings of others. I believe you've made Glenn cry.

Unknown said...

Frodo, I decline to acquiesce to your request.

If Glenn had a pair he would have taken them head on.