Monday, May 11, 2009

Mark Wilf: Assessing Favre

From the Associated Press:

Minnesota Vikings president Mark Wilf says the team is still interested in Brett Favre.

Wilf says the Vikings are assessing "a variety of factors" about the supposedly retired quarterback as they do with all free agents. But Wilf says he's "not aware of any meeting" in the past between team officials and Favre.

I question Favre's mental stability.

I don't know why people around him aren't trying to help the guy.

It's not just that Favre would play for a team that's a rival of the Green Bay Packers. He wouldn't be the first Packer to end up with the Vikings.

However, in Favre's case, he's made it clear why he wants to play for Minnesota. He wants to stick it to Ted Thompson and the organization.

His desire to "stick it" is self-destructive.

He would be adding a really horrible chapter to his NFL career if he suited up for the Vikings.

If Favre thinks that fans will stand by him rather than the Packers, he's wrong.

Favre appears willing to let Packers fans be collateral damage in his quest to "stick it."

That's incredibly self-centered.

We know what's motivating Favre.


If he runs on to Lambeau Field as a player for the Vikings, I hope he's greeted with boos that are deafening from Packers fans. I hope each of the interceptions he would be sure to throw would be greeted with cheers as loud as those he received when he was PART of the championship Super Bowl XXXI team.

I don't say that because I want to stick it to Favre. I say that as a loyal Packers fan. My allegiance is to my TEAM, the Packers, not to Favre.

Whether he plays with the Vikings or not, Favre has soiled his legacy with the Packers.

It can't be undone.

I wouldn't expect his jersey to be retired by the Packers anytime soon. As a shareholder, if I had any say in the matter, I would vote to wait a long, long time.

Favre needs to understand that the team is bigger than he is.

Bart Starr understood that. I think all the greats did.

Favre does not.

1 comment:

truth said...

Brett Retire already. No one wants to see a quarterback who has no mobility in the pocket, has an arm that won't break a pane glass window, and retires twice and come s back twice. If you want to ever have a chance to fix your legacy, you need to retire, and retire now.