Thursday, May 7, 2009

Obama, Bitterness, and the National Day of Prayer

Since becoming a national figure, Obama has said some very derogatory things about people of faith, clinging to their religion out of bitterness.

He puts worshipping God on the same plane as having guns and being bigoted.


"So it's not surprising then that they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."

--BARACK OBAMA




Hey, Obama!

It's the National Day of Prayer!

What are you going to do now?

Obama to Mark National Day of Prayer Privately
"Prayer is something that the president does every day," [Robert] Gibbs said. "Privately, he'll pray as he does every day."

Poor Obama, allegedly privately praying every day. He's full of self-loathing.

What a bitter, bitter man! A pathetic clinger!

I really don't know if Obama is sincere when he says he'll pray today, as Gibbs claims. I don't know what role faith really plays in his life.

There's no question that faith is something that does have a very private component, by nature of the fact that it involves one's personal relationship with God.

But public worship is important, too. It's a freedom that our founding fathers specifically set out to protect.

I do have some indication, his own words, that Obama looks down on people of faith. He marginalizes the importance of faith in people's lives when he says they cling to religion because they're frustrated, not because they believe.

Obama could not be more wrong when he cites the exercise of religion as Americans' "way to explain their frustrations." That's such typical liberal elitist tripe!

I'm not ashamed to admit that I cling to my religion. However, I don't cling to my faith because I feel let down by the government. My faith enriches my life and guides me through times of joy and sorrow and fear and uncertainty. I would be lost without it. I believe in God and I pray. Nothing bitter about that.

I hope Obama keeps his word and takes time to pray today.

It's kind of sad that the nation heard the president spend more time this week talking about burgers and potato puffs and root beer on tap than we'll hear him talk about exercising our precious freedom to worship God.

5 comments:

Lyn said...

Is this story a hoax? Because I read that Obama prays 5 times per day at regularly scheduled times. He even has a little mat to get down on.

On a serious note thanks for posting his comments from the campaign about bitter (White) people. Obama still feels that way. That is why he wants an internet secret police - he calls it a technology czar - to keep an eye on bloggers who disagree with him.

Obama is a typical tyrant - he's paranoid and envious of anyone who can live a happy life without depending on government.

Jill said...

Great post Mary. You make a great point that we have a fair amount of indication of what he thinks of people of faith, his own words do indeed provide "transparency" in this area. And I say a big AMEN to the following part of your post...

I'm not ashamed to admit that I cling to my religion. However, I don't cling to my faith because I feel let down by the government. My faith enriches my life and guides me through times of joy and sorrow and fear and uncertainty. I would be lost without it. I believe in God and I pray. Nothing bitter about that.

Mary said...

Obama does what he believes is politically expedient.

He's a political animal first, not a leader.

Anonymous said...

Matthew 6:5-6

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Not everyone prays for political gain and photo ops.

Mary said...

Of course not.

I don't pray for political gain or photo ops.

The last time someone took a photo of me praying was my First Communion. No, actually it was at a wedding. No, I think it was at a Confirmation.

Whatever, I wasn't praying to impress others.

There are many ways to pray, privately and with a community.

As a Catholic, I exercise my faith by praying alone and praying with others.

Matthew 18:15-20

15"If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother.

16"But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that BY THE MOUTH OF TWO OR THREE WITNESSES EVERY FACT MAY BE CONFIRMED.

17"If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector.

18"Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.

19"Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven.

20"For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."