Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Conan O'Brien: "Tonight Show" Debut Reviews

I was a loyal Late Night with Conan O'Brien viewer.

Naturally, last night, I watched Conan's debut as host of the Tonight Show.

He's getting positive reviews, here and here.

He's also getting negative reviews, here and here.

My reaction, random thoughts:

---The set is attractive, but it's too large. In terms of scale, it reminds me of David Letterman's giant set. The intimacy is lost. Viewers accustomed to O'Brien's old studio may have found it a bit off-putting. I did.

---While I've always like Andy Richter, I do miss Joel Godard as the announcer.

---It was kind of a difficult adjustment for O'Brien when Richter left the show in 2000. The familiar banter was missing, until O'Brien started looking to Max Weinberg, other band members, and producers to bounce off his jokes. Last night, it was odd to have Richter back, commenting during O'Brien's monologue and at other points in the show. Richter was placed at a podium and chair out of camera range. Rather than being helpful, the cutaways to Richter seemed more like interruptions. He didn't get in the same camera shot with O'Brien until he joined him when the show ended and he took a place on the couch as the credits rolled. Awkward.

---The band is so far away from the desk and no longer called the Max Weinberg 7. Instead, it's the Tonight Show Band. That was kind of jarring. Furthermore, rather than being a part of the comedy and the conversation, they were just there as musicians. I'm sure as time goes on O'Brien will look to the band again, but last night was weird.

---One of the first things O'Brien did was his signature move, the "string dance," an appeal to viewers of Late Night. That's something he shouldn't have brought to LA. Like Letterman, O'Brien has developed some annoying tics and expressions and habits over the years. The "string dance" is one of them. He should have given up that one at least five years ago. I know some people love it. I don't.

---About the comedy: Last night was not O'Brien at his best. I don't think it was about playing it too safe. It just wasn't that great. I miss his cast of players in the comedy bits. Hopefully, they will resurface.

---Guest Will Ferrell wasn't at his funniest. I expected him to bust out the "sexy leprechaun" for O'Brien's first show. He didn't. What a difference an earlier time slot makes!

---Even for someone who's been hosting his own network show for 16 years, O'Brien didn't seem relaxed. He was out of his element. NBC made the choice to go with O'Brien as host of the Tonight Show. If they wanted someone with Jay Leno's style, they should not have forced Leno out as host. O'Brien has to be allowed to be himself. I got the feeling he was being reined in more than a bit.

---I'm sure I'll get used to the new show, but I miss the Late Night Conan.

________________

Pearl Jam performs "Got Some."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Opening night was a bomb.

Anonymous said...

I agree with most of what you said. Andy takes away from the la bamba and max jokes. The stage is a bit too big and i miss the old announcer. but i do like the string dance

Mary said...

I know lots of people really like the string dance. He's been doing it for most of this decade.

It's just show #4 tonight and already I'm getting used to the new surroundings. I'm also adjusting to having Andy back.