Monday, June 29, 2009

Joe Jackson, Janet Jackson, BET Awards (Video)

At the BET Awards, Janet Jackson delivered some brief but heartfelt words about the loss of her brother, Michael.

Joe Jackson made some comments, too. His words didn't seem heartfelt. They seemed empty and cold.

LOS ANGELES -- While BET celebrated the life of Michael Jackson the entertainer, Janet Jackson — in her first public appearance since her brother's shocking death — memorialized him as her beloved sibling and family member, eliciting tears as she vowed his memory would live forever.

...It was a stirring emotional highlight for a show that was completely revamped to recognize the legacy of Jackson, who died Thursday at age 50. While awards were still doled out, the show's main focus was to pay tribute to the man who shaped the careers of every entertainer who walked the stage that night.

Joe Jackson, the singer's father, also was on hand to represent the grief-stricken family. "I just wish he could be here to celebrate himself," he said before the show. "Sadly, he's not here, so I'm here to celebrate for him."

There seems to be some rewriting of history here. Joe Jackson didn't appear to be grief-stricken.

Years ago, Michael Jackson revealed how terribly abusive his father was. The abuse left deep emotional scars.

But last night, Joe Jackson had only good things to say about the son he would beat and belittle. It was kind of sickening.

Here's an interview Joe Jackson gave on the red carpet at the BET Awards.



DON LEMON, CNN: CNN is live on the red carpet at the BET Awards, and so is the father of Michael Jackson. Joe Jackson joins us here tonight. How are you doing, sir? How's the family holding up?

JOE JACKSON: I'm great. The family's doing pretty good.

LEMON: Yeah?

JACKSON: Yes, they are.

LEMON: The last couple days I know it's been really tough for you guys.

JOE JACKSON: And?... Yeah, it has. It has been really tough. Remember, we just lost the biggest star in the world, superstar in the world. So, it's been tough.

People grieve in different ways, but Joe Jackson seemed very detached. I couldn't detect much pain. He appeared almost anxious to exploit his son's death. It was weird for him to have his attorney and a publicist and business partner in tow. I certainly don't think it was appropriate for him to hawk his new record company. It's like he had dollar signs in his eyes.

In short, he didn't seem like a grieving father. Of course, things aren't always as they seem.

Nevertheless, the contrast between Joe Jackson and Janet Jackson was dramatic, night and day.



JANET JACKSON: My entire family wanted to be here tonight, but it was just too painful. So they elected me to speak with all of you, and I'm going to keep it very short. But I'd just like to say that to you, Michael is an icon. To us, Michael is family. And he will forever live in all of our hearts. On behalf of my family and myself, thank you for all of your love. Thank you for all of your support. We miss him so much. Thank you so much.

She seemed to be in such pain. She seemed so shaken. She put a human face on the family's grief.

And what she said is true. Michael Jackson is family to her, not a star or a freak or whatever. First and foremost, she lost her big brother.

I feel sorry for her.

I feel sorry for what she and her siblings endured at the hands of their father.

2 comments:

Chrystal K. said...

This was so sad to watch.

susieangel42 said...

Wow, you are right on point. I thought I should watch the video before I jumped to any conclusions about what I had READ. I figured that it wouldn't be half as bad as it was said to be.

I was wrong.

I sat with my mouth opened in shock. I heard no sadness in his voice...but I heard OTHER things. (opportunism, cha-CHING sounds)

But yes, each person DOES grieve in thier OWN way. However....
I've been a HUGE fan of Janet's since day one - since she was Penney on Good Times :) through those episodes of FAME, through "Control," and on & on... Through her lyrics, she has shared her pain with us of her childhood. She shared her pain with us in her lyrics...although she was carefully respectful enough not to get too graphic. To those of us who had connected with her and her music, fans who truly LISTENED, she did give us the gift of allowing us to peak inside her heart and see that it was broken.

Janet is a sweet soul, with a kind heart (that just like Michael) was effected by the parenting of both her Father & her Mother. Her Mother is a sweet, kind woman full of compassion & faith. Soft-spoken & humble (they speak much like her :) it's sweet...)

And thank God for that. Praying Mothers. Good, Godly, strong Mothers.

Janet struggled, just like Michael had, over the years, to put their pain into perspective, and learn to somehow live with it, and grow even in spite of
it.

Janet said in her song"Special"...

"You can't run away from your pain...because wherever you go, there you will be. You have to LEARN to water your Spiritual Garden - only then, you will be free."
Everything does happen for a reason though, I believe. And through the overflowing of the heart, the mouth SPEAKS.

May God bless Michael's family, and give them strength, faith...and I pray he comforts Janet's heart as she misses her Brother. They were best friends for a long time during their childhood. One thing I do know is that both Janet & Michael are both so incredibly Special. I'm thankful for them.