Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Obama's Jeans: Today Show Interview


TODAY EXCLUSIVE: DOES OBAMA REGRET HIS JEANS?

When Meredith Vieira interviewed Obama, she asked him about his All-Star Game attire, what she called his "Dad jeans."

[T]he president responded good-naturedly to criticism of the bleached and baggy “Dad jeans” or “nerd jeans” that he wore to throw out the first pitch at last week’s All-Star Game in St. Louis.

“You are married to one of the most fashionable women in the world,” Vieira observed. “Do you want to defend the pants?”

“Michelle, she looks fabulous,” he laughed. “I am a little frumpy. Up until a few years ago, I only had four suits. She used to tease me because they would get really shiny. I hate to shop. Those jeans are comfortable, and for those of you who want your president to look great in his tight jeans, I’m sorry — I’m not the guy. It just doesn’t fit me. I’m not 20.”

Vieira jokes with Obama, "So no low-riders."

Yuck.

Well, Obama is standing by his pants. Public opinion be damned.

Video. The jeans discussion starts at 12:25.

After the interview ends and we're back at the desk with Vieira and Lester Holt, things get a little weird. I think Vieira was slipping back into her role on The View, imagining Obama in tight jeans and joking with Holt.

Holt defends Obama, praising Mr. Cool for having the audacity to wear dorky looking pants.

MEREDITH VIEIRA: Yeah, the image of him in really tight jeans is wrong. It's wrong for the president of the United States.

LESTER HOLT: Can I say as a man of about the same age? It's all about comfort when you get to this point in life. You know what? Good for him. Good for him.

VIEIRA: And he looks comfortable. For sure.

HOLT: You know? That's what it's all about.

VIEIRA: Yeah, and he's confident in those pants. That's what matters. Are you in yours?

HOLT: I'm very confident. Yeah. Very confident.

VIEIRA: Then put 'em back on. No, I'm kidding. He's got them on. He's got them on.

(Holt stands up to reveal that he is, in fact, wearing pants.)

HOLT: Wearing pants -- All right?

Funny.

We have seen Obama romping on the beach in Hawaii wearing a lot less than tight jeans.

Does Vieira think that was wrong or unpresidential?

So Obama's baggy pants are supposed to be a sign of his confidence.

I wonder if he'll wear sweats for his prime time news conference.

1 comment:

krshorewood said...

Looks like we are playing small ball again.