Monday, September 28, 2009

John Salley, Obama, and White America

I'm so sick of hearing that opposition to Obama's policies is indicative of an underlying racism.

NewsBusters reports that John Salley, former NBA star and current host of ESPN's The Best Damn Sports Show, thinks that the majority of WHITE Americans hate Obama.

Salley made his remarks when he was on The Adam Carolla Podcast, September 23.

JOHN SALLEY: I have a question.

ADAM CAROLLA: Sure.

SALLEY: I have a real question, because I sat around and I thought about this the whole time. Do you hate Obama?

CAROLLA: No.

SALLEY: Why are so many people who now hate him after just 266 days ago they loved him?

CAROLLA: Who hates him?

SALLEY: All of white America.

CAROLLA: All of white America?

SALLEY: Not all of 'em but the majority.

That's quite a statement.

Salley didn't stop there. He complained about some people referring to Obama as Hitler.

SALLEY: The fact that you can say the word Hitler and put it to our president is some scary thought.

Was Salley troubled when President Bush was called Hitler? It happened on a regular basis for years. Did he find that to be a scary thought.

I don't think so.

Salley also had words of praise for Jimmy Carter.

SALLEY: I think Jimmy Carter was great about what he said. I think he saw it from his point of view, knowing where it came from, the roots of it, calling certain people racist. But I also feel it's a lack of respect for the position.

CAROLLA: Well, that!

SALLEY: I think the position of being president has been weakened since George W. Bush, well since Clinton.

It's ridiculous for people like Carter and Salley and so many others to complain about the lack of respect being given to Obama and conclude that race is a factor.

I think it's a cheap method being used to delegitimize the credibility of dissenting opinions.

It's a sleazy, offensive tactic.


No comments: