Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Favre Sticks it to Packers, Thompson, and Fans

Brett Favre looked very happy last night, and so did his wife, Deanna.

It took a while but they finally got what they wanted.

From the Green Bay Press-Gazette:

Revenge, vindication, told you so. Whatever it was, Brett Favre got it Monday night.

Not only did the former Green Bay Packers quarterback beat his old team in this huge early season matchup at the Metrdome, 30-23, but showed the Packers what it’s like to be on the wrong side of a vintage Favre game.

On a night when the Packers for the most part shut down the NFL’s best halfback, Adrian Peterson, Favre demonstrated that less than a week shy of his 40th birthday he’s still capable of carrying an NFL offense.

He put up big numbers (135.3 passer rating, 24 completions in 31 attempts, no interceptions) and most importantly made the kind of plays, like converting tough third downs, that the Vikings brought him in to make when they signed him 2½ weeks into training camp.

Afterward, Packers cornerback Charles Woodson acknowledged that no matter what Favre ever says publicly, he had to feel vindication Monday night after his bitter parting with General Manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy in the summer of 2008.

“Yeah. Why wouldn’t he?” Woodson said. “He played a great game and apparently he got his wish tonight. He stuck it to us pretty good.”

Yes, Favre's wish came true. He stuck it to Ted Thompson and he stuck it to the Packers and he stuck it to the fans.

I haven't watched any of the Vikings games this season.


I saw video of that game-winning touchdown pass Favre threw when the Vikings played the 49ers. Other than that, I've completely avoided watching Favre.

Last year, it was easy. The Jets weren't relevant to the Packers. I could ignore all the Favre drama.

Not anymore. Last night, Favre was in my face and I couldn't stand it.

When I looked at Favre, I saw someone thrilled to be a Viking.

Supposedly, it's just business, playing the game, earning a paycheck, blah, blah, blah. That's not what I saw.

Favre is a Viking. He's purple.

It didn't seem surreal for him to be leading the Vikings. What seems surreal now is that he once was a Packer and wore the green and gold.

I couldn't think of Favre as ever having been a Packer. Surreal.

I don't think of Favre as a Packer legend. How would that be possible? He pounded the Packers and clearly was loving it. He pumped his fists in celebration with each score to defeat the Packers.

Favre didn't just happen to sign to play for another team. He didn't just happen to end up playing for a division rival. He intentionally went there to get revenge against the Packers. He had a score to settle. That puts everything in perspective.

He's purple now.

I can't imagine Favre's number being retired. I don't think it should be. In the storied history of the Packers, only five numbers have been retired. In 90 years, there have only been five. It's a rare honor reserved for the truly legendary Green Bay Packers.

Those five players are legends among legends.


Lambeau Field Atrium (Photo/June 2009)

When a player displays the intense bitterness that Favre has shown against the Packers organization, I don't think he should be honored by the team. I can't picture a banner of Favre hanging in the atrium. It doesn't belong there.

Let the Vikings retire Favre's number. Let him enter the Hall of Fame as a Viking.


It's not that Favre didn't end his career with the Packers. The issue is the animosity he harbors for the organization.

What a joke it would be for Favre to go in as a Packer!


I think Favre is much more comfortable in purple.


A word about Aaron Rodgers--

I hope he has a long, illustrious career with the Packers and leads the team to Super Bowl victories. Years from now, I hope his number is retired.


(Of course, that's highly unlikely if he gets sacked eight times a game. Oh, God.)

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I agree! I love your blog too. I stumbled upon it yesterday looking for video of the Terry Bradshaw rant (which I had not yet seen). Not only did I find that, but also someone who seemingly holds my same point of view on not only sports but politics as well. Glad to find you!

Mary said...

Thanks, Valerie.