Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Onion: Glenn Beck Not Dead

Most of the time I enjoy what The Onion has to offer.

Not so much this time.

Video, from Big Hollywood.



Victim In Fatal Car Accident Tragically Not Glenn Beck

I don't watch Glenn Beck. I don't listen to his radio program. I'm not a fan.

That said, I think The Onion went too far with this one. It's certainly painful to watch if you've lost a loved one in an accident.

I suppose if one views the piece as mocking the unbridled hate some people have for Beck it could be seen as funny, but I don't think that's the interpretation that was intended.

I have difficulty finding a tragedy like a fatal car accident amusing.

The description of the accident itself is unsettling to me, an honor student burned alive.

The comments made by the "neighbor" are brutal.

"She was just a normal kid. She wasn't some fat, dumb, Mormon f---face who should have drank herself to death when she had the chance. She was so beautiful. She didn't even have little pig eyes."

That's a bit much, in my opinion.

I also don't like the interview of the weeping mother of the accident victim.

"There's no harder thing than to have Glenn Beck outlive your child. I would give anything for this to have happened to Glenn Beck instead. Glenn Beck...."

She sobs, overwhelmed with grief.

The whole thing is creepy.

The anchorman adds, "The terrible tragedy hits especially hard following the Rottweiler mauling of someone besides Glenn Beck in Milwaukee yesterday."



I know The Onion pushes the limits. It's satire. I know.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

The onion has made its mark as being a very racy, stinging satire; meant to offend. I didn't interpret it as making fun of families who have suffered loss. It's not like they turned a real situation with a real family into a joke.

Unknown said...

The onion has made its mark as being a very racy, stinging satire; meant to offend. I didn't interpret it as making fun of families who have suffered loss. It's not like they turned a real situation with a real family into a joke.

ca60gregory said...

I agree with Philip, Its a direct attack on Beck himself, not on grieving families.

As far as the onion going to far, attacking Beck, watch a few clips of this ugly little man, with his hate speech and phony emotions, Im sure you will agree he deserves it all and more.