Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ryan Miller Prank Call and MSNBC (Video)

More shame for MSNBC.

Willie Geist did a three minute phone interview with a prankster he thought was Hockey Team USA goalie Ryan Miller.

Oops!

The fake Miller filled the interview with trash-talk.

FAKE RYAN MILLER: I just want to say that we're almost as confident to guarantee victory in the gold medal game.

Eventually, the real Ryan Miller spoke with Geist by phone during Chris Matthews' program.

Geist said, "We were the victims of a prank."

How did this happen? Did this fake Miller call MSNBC and he was just put on the air?

WILLIE GEIST: First and foremost, Ryan, please accept our apology. It's a mistake that never should have happened. We misrepresented your name, and we regret it deepfully, and I personally feel terrible about it.

RYAN MILLER: No problem. I appreciate a good prank, but, you know, I do try to keep my reputation intact here. And up here in the Olympics, you know, I think, especially Canada, everybody's taking things very personally, and so, I just want to clear up that I wouldn't be guaranteeing a gold medal. I look forward to a great game to compete for a gold medal though.

...

I don't make predictions. I like to play the games.

...

I just wanted to clear things up. I got a few messages from friends and a lot of different PR staff on different NHL teams are getting a hold of people asking if I'd really become that much different and that cocky because of this. I assure you I'm not that kind of a person. Anybody who knows me knows, you know, I'm pretty laid back, pretty quiet. I just enjoy playing the game.

GEIST: Well, I thought it sounded fishy at the time and I'm sorry I didn't stop it sooner than we did.

Good grief.

MSNBC is such a mess. Unbelievable.

Miller, on the other hand, is a real class act.


Video.

No comments: