Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tom Brokaw: Kevin Pearce

UPDATE, January 21, 2012: Kevin Pearce reflects on Sarah Burke's death
________________

During last night's NBC prime time coverage of the Olympics, Tom Brokaw did a report on American snowboarder Kevin Pearce.

While this likely Olympian was training, Kevin had a horrible accident at the end of December 2009, leaving him with a severe, traumatic brain injury.

Brokaw talks to Kevin's parents, Pia and Simon, and his older brothers -- Adam, Andrew, and David. They speak about the accident, the way their family has responded, and Kevin.

Although Kevin's future is uncertain, they are heartened by his remarkable progress and are hopeful.

Kevin's mother told a touching story about David, Kevin's brother with Down Syndrome.

PIA PEARCE: I never realized before this happened that the great gift of David in our life has been to prepare me for this experience. And I feel way better equipped to deal with this, thanks to having had David in our life for 24 years.

David was just here visiting with Kevin. And I think that actually Kevin is going to get extra special care at Craig Hospital, because David went to every therapist and every doctor and said, 'Take very good care of my brother. I love him very much.' And then he cried and gave everybody a hug, and it was very, very sweet.

As far as Kevin's recovery goes, she said, "I can honestly tell you I feel like there have been miracles unfolding before my eyes, and I am just in awe of having that experience. It's really been very moving and very humbling."

This is a must-see video.

It's a beautiful story of a family's love, hope, and faith.


No comments: