Friday, March 5, 2010

Brett Favre and Jay Leno: Retirement (Video)

Exactly two years after Brett Favre announced his retirement from the Green Bay Packers and the NFL, he was a guest on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.

Of course, since that announcement two years ago, Favre has played with the New York Jets and the Minnesota Vikings.

Favre talked about his almost perfect storybook season with the Vikings.

BRETT FAVRE: I tell people I really believe my biggest accomplishment this year was winning over the majority of the Vikings fans. For so many years, I was hated there.

Yeah, well, things change.

Leno had some fun with Favre and the retirement question. Favre played along.

Bottom line: Favre says he hasn't decided about next season. He's just sitting back and relaxing and enjoying Hannah Montana.

Atypically dressed in a blazer (though he didn't wear a tie), Favre received a standing ovation from the studio audience. Traveling with family members, including his younger daughter, and his priest, Favre did reveal that the appearance on Leno was not the real reason for his family's visit to California.

"We're out here to see Hannah Montana … no offense to you (Leno), but Hannah Montana rules," Favre joked.

Leno kidded Favre about his entourage, though hypothesized it helps a high-profile athlete stay out of trouble.

"Always travel with your priest and your mother-in-law," grinned Favre.

The interview ended with Leno presenting Favre with a gold watch, a faux retirement gift for a man who has come out of retirement twice the past two years.


Interview video.


Transcript
JAY LENO: What are your thoughts on next year?

BRETT FAVRE: Well, Jay, it's only been a month. Uh, and I know now that I'm just not gonna say anything anytime soon. I'm just gonna kinda sit back, relax, enjoy the off season.

LENO: Well, I know, I know you say you haven't made a decision, but I was talking with Fr. Tom, your priest. And you know, he said to me, 'Look, we're not supposed to say what goes on in the confessional.' But he said, 'I can tell you this.' He said, 'It looks like he's probably going to hang it up this year.' This is what he told me. So, I want to be the first to congratulate you on your retirement. Congratulations on your retirement.

(Shakes hands with Favre.)

Congratulations on your retirement.

I have this for you. I have this. I have something for you. This is a, this is a gift. This is a solid gold watch. This was given to me last May by NBC. I can't use it. So I figured, I figured I will give this to you as a retirement gift.

(Leno hands Favre the watch.)

So, congratulations. I want to wish you the best on whatever you choose to do next.

FAVRE: Thank you. Thank you, but I haven't made a decision yet, Jay.

(Cheers and applause)

I'll take the watch!

LENO: You know what that means -- He's staying! Congratulations! Congratulations! Yes! One more year! One more year! One more year!

Listen, I have this. The coach, Childress, asked me to give this to you. This is the Minnesota Vikings playbook. Study this for the next couple of months and we will see you next year. Congratulations, Brett Favre! Yeah!

No comments: