Friday, May 14, 2010

Chris Christie: 'Confrontational' or 'Honest and Refreshing'

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie schools a Star-Ledger reporter.

Transcript

TOM, reporter: Governor, do you think this sort of confrontational tone can increase your odds in getting this through the legislature?

GOV. CHRIS CHRISTIE: You know, Tom, you must be the thinnest skinned guy in America. Because you think that's a confrontational tone, then I, you know, you should really see me when I'm pissed. You know, that's not confrontational. All right?

So, you know, I love when people say they don't want to have argument. That's what we were sent here for. They believe in certain things. They believe in bigger government, higher taxes, and more spending. Here it is -- bigger government, higher taxes, more spending.

I believe in less government, lower taxes, and in empowering local officials who are elected by their citizens to be able to fix their problems. That may lead to a disagreement or two.

Now, I could say it really nicely. I could say it in the way that you all might be more comfortable with. You know, maybe we could go back to the last administration where I could say it in a way you wouldn't even understand it. OK?

But the fact of the matter is this is who I am, and this is who the people elected. And so, you guys want to continue to talk about this process stuff, about my tone, my combativeness. You know, we've got them standing in the doorway of the Senate saying they won't even hold a hearing on an enormously qualified Supreme Court nominee. You know, but that's not combative or confrontational. Of course not. You know, only I'm combative or confrontational.

Listen, everybody plays to their part. This is who I am. Like it or not, you guys are stuck with me for four years. And I'm going to say things directly. When you ask me questions, I'm going to answer them directly, straightly, bluntly; and nobody in New Jersey is going to have to wonder where I am on an issue. And I think they've had enough of politicians who make them wonder.

Because you know most of the time why they make them wonder, Tom? They make them wonder so they've got an escape hatch, so they have an escape hatch. And I'm not interested in an escape hatch. I came here to govern, not to escape. I came here to govern, not to worry about reelection. I came here to do what people sent me here to do.

And so, blunt, direct -- maybe you might say 'honest and refreshing.' Maybe we could see that in your paper tomorrow.

Video.


That's definitely honest and refreshing.

No comments: