Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My First Episode of 'Lost'

Last night, I watched my first ever episode of Lost.

Fans of the show, do you have any idea how lame it seems when one drops in the way I did?

The acting made William Shatner seem like a master thespian. It was kind of entertaining from that standpoint. It was so bad it was good.

In all fairness, of course I couldn't possibly experience the show the way regular viewers would. I was literally clueless, having no history of any characters or details of the story.

I know that one guy says "dude" a lot. That's about the limit of my familiarity with Lost, and he wasn't on the show yesterday.

A family member, a diehard fan, answered my questions as best he could. (For what it's worth, he was not happy with last night's episode, a bit let down.)

I wondered if this group was some sort of feral bunch.

And then there was the wheel, and the way the metal was acting, and the light, and the water, and the quest to leave and the demands to stay.


WORSE THAN DEATH!

There seemed to be some heavy duty good/evil stuff and Christian imagery. The mother passing the cup to Jacob was really strange, either dopey or offensive.

Was this Eden? The two brothers. A fall from innocence. The dead bodies. A son kills his mother/not really his mother. Talk of Adam and Eve.

According to my Lost expert, there was a full circle at the end. But he thought the same information could have been shared with the audience without wasting an entire episode.

I didn't get it.

It was all very strange in a very silly sort of way, and surprisingly predictable. To a certain extent, I could see what was coming without knowing why any of it was happening.

I wonder if fans will be blown away by the series finale or extremely disappointed.

Is it better to have loved Lost than never to have loved it at all?

Personally, I'm OK with not loving Lost.

My existence still has some meaning, I think.

I could be wrong.

________________

Mick Jagger makes an appearance on the May 11th episode of Late, Jimmy Fallon's take-off on Lost.

Watch.

No comments: