Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Favre Retirement - Reaction

Reaction from around the league to Favre's alleged retirement:

Vikings DE Jared Allen: "I love Brett, and he deserves the right to do what he wants to do. We'd love to have him. ... I'll believe it (retirement) when I see it. Right now, we're just going to focus on what we got here." -- to USA TODAY's Gary Mihoces

Vikings QB Tarvaris Jackson: "It's always a little back and forth with Brett. He deserves the opportunity to decide whatever he wants. ... It's up to him right now. I'm just trying to focus on getting better." -- to USA TODAY's Gary Mihoces

Ex-Detroit Lions president Matt Millen: "It's still early. You're five days into training camp. You've got time on your side. There's nothing to say he hasn't to be back the first week." -- on NFL Network

Hall of Fame WR Jerry Rice: "It's very difficult to make that decision. When you love the game and you start thinking and saying, 'I'm calling it quits,' it's hard to get those words out of your mouth. But I think Brett, what he's been able to accomplish, it's been a great career." -- to USA TODAY's Jarrett Bell

Green Bay Packers GM Ted Thompson, on how Favre's retirement affects the NFC North: "I haven't thought of it."

Chicago Bears LB Lance Briggs: "I won't believe it until I see Tarvaris Jackson starting against us. If he's starting, we'll go from there. Either way, we still got a job to do." -- via ESPN

Ex-Vikings OL Artis Hicks, now with Redskins: "I'm shocked, big time. If he's saying that he can't do it because of that ankle, then that's what it is, because he's such a committed guy. We saw it last year, when he showed up he was a 100% all in. So you know it's a serious issue and he's just not comfortable with it." -- to Redskins.com

Hall of Fame QB Joe Namath, on Twitter: "Too much time left before season begins to take Farve's retirement seriously."

New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan: "If he's not playing week 5 (when the Jets host the Vikings), I'll be happy ... If he'll be playing week 5, I'll be scared." -- via the Newark Star-Ledger

Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan: "I'll believe it when I see it." -- via the Washington Post

Ex-Vikings RB Chester Taylor, now with the Bears: "Brett did those Sears commercials where he was confused. He might still be confused." -- via the Chicago Sun-Times

Former NFL head coach Jon Gruden: "I would not be surprised if at some point we see No. 4 again." -- On ESPN's SportsCenter

Bears DT Tommie Harris: "I think he'll be back. I know him." -- via the Chicago Sun-Times

NFL Network analyst Jamie Dukes : "He's shown he's got it. ... So i don't think there's going to be any problem whatsoever (with Favre potentially returning in Week 2 or Week 3)." -- on NFL Network

Cowboys QB Tony Romo: "It's better to go I think the year before than a year too late. He had an incredible season, maybe the best of his career, last year. To have that at his age and to do that was outstanding. That's fun to watch." -- via ESPN

Cowboys LB DeMarcus Ware: "He's the guy that came in and gave (the 2009 Vikings) that burst to get them into the playoffs. Why not come back and try it again? Hasn't he (retired) already? I would keep doing the same thing. I would keep trying to play. He can do it." -- via the Dallas Morning News

I wonder if it bothers Favre that his word has no credibility with so many people.

Probably too clueless and too rich to care.

No comments: