Thursday, February 10, 2011

Christopher Lee and Craigslist

Congressman Christopher Lee, Republican, served the 26th District of New York.

Unfortunately, Chris Lee also was interested in serving himself.

Gawker broke the story.

Rep. Christopher Lee is a married Republican congressman serving the 26th District of New York. But when he trolls Craigslist's "Women Seeking Men" forum, he's Christopher Lee, "divorced" "lobbyist" and "fit fun classy guy."

Lie, lie, lie.

Lee isn't divorced (at the moment). He's not a lobbyist. He's not a classy guy.

This scandal played out with lightning speed.

Just hours after Gawker exposed Lee, he resigned.


Here's Lee's statement:
For Immediate Release: Wednesday, February 9, 2010

Statement from Congressman Chris Lee (NY-26):

"It has been a tremendous honor to serve the people of Western New York. I regret the harm that my actions have caused my family, my staff and my constituents. I deeply and sincerely apologize to them all. I have made profound mistakes and I promise to work as hard as I can to seek their forgiveness.

"The challenges we face in Western New York and across the country are too serious for me to allow this distraction to continue, and so I am announcing that I have resigned my seat in Congress effective immediately."

What was he thinking?

Craigslist???

It is an honor to serve in public office. It's a privilege, not a prize. Voters trusted Lee and he let them down.

His betrayal of his wife and son is even more disturbing.

The public humiliation he brought on himself is nothing compared to the pain he's caused his family.

The fact that Lee resigned so quickly makes me wonder if he has more to hide and he wanted to bow out before more sleaze surfaced.

To borrow from Shakespeare, I guess "the Internet makes fools of us all."

So many people check their brains at the door when they go online.

Oh, well. Maybe the "fit fun classy" Lee will land on his feet and get a job with CNN, on Eliot Spitzer's show.


Video

1 comment:

Montana said...

The party of "Family Values" my ass, more like the "Party of hypocrites". Poor Christopher Lee, at least he resigned! What about Senator John Ensign (NV) and Governor Mark Stanford (SC), and diaper boy Sen. David Vitter (R-LA)! Too Funny!