Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Victor Weers: Kathy Nickolaus - RESIGN

UPDATE: Nickolaus rejects calls for resignation.

Waukesha County Clerk Kathy Nickolaus issued a statement Tuesday afternoon rejecting calls that she resign.

"I will serve the remainder of my term," Nickolaus said. "I understand why people are upset and I am taking this matter seriously. Again, I am sorry for my mistake."

"I have immediately begun the process of reviewing my procedures," with the Government Accountability Board and Waukesha County auditor, she said.

The statement comes the same day a Waukesha County Democratic Party leader called on Nickolaus, a Republican, to resign immediately in light of her performance in reporting results from last week's election and the fallout since.

Read Nickolaus' statement:
STATEMENT OF WAUKESHA COUNTY CLERK KATHY NICKOLAUS REGARDING CALLS TO RESIGN

Waukesha, WI - "I will serve the remainder of my term. I understand why people are upset and I am taking this matter seriously. Again, I am sorry for my mistake. I have immediately begun the process of reviewing my procedures. I have also asked the Government Accountability Board and the Waukesha County Auditor to assist my office in a review and implementation of improved practices and procedures to make sure the process is more transparent and this mistake does not happen again. I will use the remainder of my term to restore the voter's confidence in me."

________________

Victor Weers, Waukesha County DEMOCRAT party leader, wants Kathy Nickolaus to resign.

Read his complete news release: "Waukesha Democrats: Time for Kathy Nicholaus to resign."

Good grief. Weers could have taken the time to spell Kathy NICKOLAUS' name correctly. It's misspelled four times.

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

A Waukesha County Democratic Party leader has called on Republican Waukesha County Clerk Kathy Nickolaus to resign immediately in light of her performance in reporting results from last week's election and the fallout since.

Party Chairman Victor Weers said in a news release Tuesday that not only has the clerk's vote-counting and reporting process produced problems, but "Ms. Nicholaus (sic) has willfully ignored pleas to repair her broken reporting process in an open and technologically reliable way."

He said, "We must have a county clerk that we can trust to do this important work of the people with competence, security and openness. Waukesha must have a new county clerk now."

Nickolaus plans to respond this afternoon.

A staff member in Nickolaus' office said Nickolaus planned to make an announcement this afternoon, but the staff member did not know exactly when Nickolaus would be making a statement.

Nickolaus made a huge mistake.

I understand why she might want to step aside immediately, to get out of the spotlight and take shelter. I'm sure the union thugs and other assorted loons are harassing her.

However, I don't think she should be forced out against her will, especially by pressure from a guy who can't spell her name.

Democrats don't ask their own to resign when they make honest mistakes and not so honest mistakes. They reelect them.

Ted Kennedy.

6 comments:

jimspice said...

Well, you didn't take the time to correctly spell "Democratic". You left off an entire syllable.

Seriously, this should be about competence, and I don't think the left or the right can claim a monopoly on that. Why support a clerk that has screwed up at least three times in the past 6 years.

Mary said...

I agree that it is about competence and the integrity of our elections.

I object to the double standard. That's my point.

Don said...

I don't care how he spelled her name. This is not a spelling bee. It was supposed to be an election, but instead it was just another SELECTION. Just like Florida 2000.

James Wigderson said...

How about we toss her out anyway? This is not her first mistake, and if she serves out her term it will not be her last.

Mary said...

You're wrong, Don. It's nothing like Florida 2000 and it is a spelling bee.

Mary said...

JW,

If Nickolaus resigns, I don't think the Dems will be satisfied. But if they're looking for a victory, getting Nickolaus out certainly wouldn't be a loss for Waukesha County.

As to her competence, she has a poor record to go with her poor judgment.

I still don't like the double standard. If she were a Dem, there's no way anyone would be discussing resignation.