Sunday, November 13, 2011

SNL: Rick Perry Shot by Mitt Romney

It's no surprise that Saturday Night Live opened with Rick Perry's memory lapse during Wednesday's Republican presidential debate.

The sketch lasted nearly 6 minutes, much longer than Perry's actual awkward stumble during the debate.

Bill Hader, once again, played Rick Perry.

Here's the video:



It's very predictable, the same sort of mocking of Perry that's been going on since he lost it on Wednesday.

What I found kind of funny was when Jason Sudeikis, playing Mitt Romney, went over to Perry's podium and tried to comfort Perry during his meltdown.

It was a take-off on John Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men, when George talks to Lenny about the farm and the rabbits just before the dramatic, heartwrenching moment when George shoots him.

Transcript

RICK PERRY (BILL HADER): I'm not gonna be president, am I?

MITT ROMNEY (JASON SUDEIKIS): No. No, you're not.

PERRY: Can I be your vice president?

ROMNEY: Sure, sure, sure. (Shakes his head and mouths 'no' behind Perry)

PERRY: Where are we goin' after this, Mitt?

ROMNEY: We're going to go to a nice field, where you never have to say another word. There's going to be a cow and a chicken.

PERRY: I like that. Are there rabbits?

ROMNEY: Yeah, yeah rabbits everywhere.

PERRY: Tell me about the rabbits, Mitt.

ROMNEY: You can tend the rabbits.

At this point, Romney pulls out a handgun, to shoot Perry.



That made me cringe.


The camera turned to the debate moderators, Fred Armisen and Nasim Pedrad, when Romney pulls the trigger. We hear a cartoonish clang sound and the camera returns to Romney and Perry. Romney exclaims, "It bounced right off."

Then, Perry says, "Got it! Department of Engery!"

I didn't like the gun scene at all.

I highly doubt SNL would depict a Democrat intending to shoot another Democrat.

I wonder if Gabrielle Giffords watched the sketch. I wonder if she laughed.

1 comment:

Demoncrat said...

I'm pretty left of center (by today's standards) and I thought it was a dull opener, until the "Of Mice and Men" bit...I thought that was a clever reference...until the gun came out. It's never o.k. to mix guns with politicians; we just have too long a history of easily suggestible idiots in this country. I wouldn't censor them or even idiots on the right like Ted Nugent but that doesn't mean I deem it even close to appropriate.

Tomorrow, the story will be that Democrats and Progressives just aren't as publicly horrified as they would have been had it been a liberal politician but that's a straw-man argument because, I'm here early saying it was inappropriate and ill-conceived, but perhaps worse (for SNL)...it wasn't funny. The reference to Mice and Men was enough. So before too much gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair...we can reach bipartisanship at least on this one issue, it was wrong.